We went to say our goodbyes over the weekend and I had my alone time with him and told him how very much he was loved and appreciated as I cried. I have learned that in dealing with death, it is so much easier to be able to say good-bye- if of course you are given that opportunity.
As I reflected to Jake all of my gratitude for those late night talks about all my past boy troubles and such (hey- I got him when I was 15- so now you know how old I am too!) I also realized the impact death has on us in general. I was taken back to both of my grandmothers recent deaths and my time with them prior to their deaths. It is something that grips my heart, bringing reality to the forefront and reprioritizing life time after time.
Death without faith is something I cannot image. I think about my grandmothers and my just knowing that they are in heaven and the incredible peace that gives me. In a different way, faith also helps me to accept things like Jake's death- knowing that he was a gift to our family for a certain time for a certain reason and that his presence in our lives was not chance. He was a member of our family and he was deeply loved and added to the depths of our family relationships as we cared for him and shared our yummiest of meals with him (only when dad said it was okay). :)
Time does move forward, I am reminded of this daily. But I am thankful for the opportunity I have to live and learn and share defining moments in this life with precious friends and family, even pets- like Jake.
2 comments:
The death of a pet is almost as traumatic as the death of a (human) loved one. Jake must have brought you lots of happiness & joy over the year. My love to you as you deal with your loss.
What a tribute my dear. Couldn't have said it better myself. Love you so much, Mom and Dad
Post a Comment