Friday, April 11, 2014

Without groans...

The following pictures are my favorites from this past week...


My sweet Connorbug, always picking me flowers.


My precious Landon, growing up so very fast right before my eyes.


My joyful Lindsay Jane, how she lights up my world.

Without groans?  Great title, huh?  It says it all...in my world this week.  I am reading a book called Praying for Boys.  In one of the chapters, it talks about praying about Obedience in our children, specifically boys in this book.  Any one else spend a lot of time talking to their kids about obedience?????

The scripture that it recommends praying over your kids is Hebrews 13:17 and inserting your children's names in, like this..."May Landon, Connor and Lindsay Jane obey their leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over their souls, as those who will have to give an account.  Let Landon, Connor and Lindsay Jane do this with joy and not with groaning."

Who else hears a lot of groaning in their house?  It is one thing for me to teach my children to obey, but doing so without groaning...that's a hard one, even for me.

I have really struggled with that lately.  I have a real sensitivity to the reality of my blessings.  My three healthy blessings.  I am acutely reminded of how often blessings like these three do not happen.  I am reminded in my work every day.  I see children who have mild to severe impairments.  I know many people who have lost children, both through miscarriage and the unimaginable, the death of their child.  I live in such an awareness that I get swept away very easily by emotion whenever I am trying to discipline these little ones.  I guess for me, the groaning I am struggling with is different that the groaning I hear from my children when they don't want to obey.

Groan: 1- a deep, inarticulate sound made in great pain or despair. 2- a low creaking or moaning sound made by a device or object under pressure.  Check and check.  My soul groans for those babies I see at work who are suffering.  My soul aches for those parents waiting for results when a baby born is not acting normally...  That "device" under pressure, that would be me, my heart, my soul.  It is such a blessing to be able to have compassion and empathy.  It is also very hard.  But, I am thinking when I read this book about obedience...obedience in the sense of getting my children on the right path and teaching them to do so without the complaining kind of groaning...and obedience for me and my groaning...is trusting the Lord in all things.  Trusting that he has me in the palm of his hand.  He gave me these three gifts to cherish and he knew that I would.  He is trusting me with their lives.  What does it really look like for me to obey him in letting him carry my burdens and groanings...

I think a lot and I don't have time to work through those thoughts, except often through this BLOG- so thanks for reading.  I care a lot and so much so that I often hurt from it.  I know that God has blessed my with the gift of compassion for others and I also know that I cannot use this gift without obeying him and trusting him to take my yoke upon him instead of trying to carry it myself, instead of groaning.

I want my children to learn to obey me and to do so without groaning (the whiny type).  I am seeking God in my parenting.  I am also realizing every day how very much these precious three are teaching me.  I never knew how much I had to learn until I had these three babies.  I am so very grateful for each one and never ever want to take them for granted.  So, if ever you get tired of reading about my gratitude, know that my writing is truly a way for me to recognize my blessings, reflect on them and call them out.  I know there is too much pain in this world not to recognize the blessings I have.

More favorites from the past week of those I am trying to keep from all the groaning...when I teach them to obey...what a challenge. :)


Finally, warm enough for popsicles!


Landon enjoying his glider from Pop and Mommom.


Lindsay Jane taking a little drive in her hat...can't believe she kept it on her head!


Sweet swinging babe.


Sandbox fun!


Clapping at herself as she slides down the slide by herself.


Yes, even she, the happiest baby ever, has temper tantrums.


And finally, our family completed the Crop Walk.  An amazing feat, esp. since Lindsay Jane did not nap at all that day and Landon Cole walked the entire 4.8 miles!!!

All for now, duty calls.

No comments: