Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Big Boy Day

OK, third time has to be a charm... Thanks to my dear friend Leigh, we have taken the plunge yet a third time and have gotten rid of the pacifier. Landon and I went to Build a Bear today and had a great time making a stuffed puppy that Landon named Pluto. Landon was enthusiastic and handed the man operating the stuffing machine his two pacifiers to put into Pluto's belly.

Landon holding the heart that he and I both kissed and put in the stuffing that now shares a space with two pacifiers in Pluto's belly.

Landon giving Pluto a bath. He really got a kick out of this and made sure he washed his "yucky toes" really well. :)


Serious hug here. After we left Pluto had to share the seat with Landon in the stroller and is now among the many friends in Landon's bed with him.

We declared today, "Big Boy Day". He got dressed in his big boy clothes with big boy underwear and we set out to get stepping stools so he could stand to pee pee in the potty without mommy's help (or additional stress on my back), a build a bear who would be stuffed with the pacifiers (this time all pacifiers went- none left for any of us to fall back on), and cupcakes because one of the "No more Pacifiers" books we read had a little boy eating a cupcake because he did not have a paci in his mouth.

We accomplished all goals and had lunch at Panera's. Landon took the Big Boy theme seriously and did not sit in a booster or highchair, ate all of his meal (bagel with cream cheese, many pieces of my spinach lettuce, apple and water out of a big boy cup) without a struggle at all. I could not believe it.

We finished the day by playing in the play area at the mall. He had a blast chasing all the older kids around and has become quite a climber. I was so proud of him.

We got home for nap and he did cry for paci. He did fall out of his bed for the first time. He did try to rip the build a bear Pluto open to get his pacifier. I did rock him to sleep. But when he got up, he told his Nanny who was here visiting, "Paci went bye bye." He said this very matter of factly and he is soundly sleeping right now without paci. He is very motivated by mommy being happy right now and I really played that up today. He IS a big boy and I am so proud of him.

I do covet your prayers as we go through this transition. We have expected a lot out of him but feel it is better to do these things now when we are able to give him our full attention. He brings us such joy- it is amazing and more so daily.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think giving up the paci is harder on us as parents than it is on the kiddos! It's so nice to be able to plug them up sometimes! Good luck.

Anna Bowland said...

That trip to Build-A-Bear looks so fun! (Brandon won't let me go in there). I can't wait to meet Mr. Pluto.

gina said...

What a creative mommy you are, Kristen! This looks like such a fun and memorable day. Way to go, Landon!

Dawn said...

Way to go Landon! Sometimes I think it's tougher on mommy and daddy to make these transitions, but somehow it all works out with God's help.