Well, I am starting up where I left off...in September. It's a hard thing to do for me. I want to keep up and make up for what I did not yet post, but I am going to go with starting right where I was and where I am. Enjoy this sweet memory post from our first trip to our nation's capitol with our boys.
I always imagined taking my kids to DC, and here we were...over Labor Day...on one of the most beautiful days of the year. Sweet family time, sweet joy with my boys, while dear Aunt Tamara kept the little three year old short legged thing at home to play with her cousin.
Riding the Metro was one of the boys' favorite activities!! Figures, right?
Both boys were SUCH troopers. I am so glad we waited until they were these very ages for our first trip. they walked, they learned and they enjoyed...
The Air and Space Museum was definitely a favorite! I actually think Stan enjoyed it the most of all of us! It was so sweet, I had to pull him away..."Honey, the boys are ready...we need to go ahead and do something else..." Kicking and screaming he would have been if he was not the mature adult he is now. Haha! It was an engineer's heaven!
More sweet moments at the Air and Space Museum.
Life with a brother. Ain't that bad...
The Mall was absolutely beautiful. The boys were super impressed with all of the grass and the monuments. Instead of sticking with the original plan and heading to the Natural History Museum, the boys wanted to walk all the way to the Washington Memorial. Let's face it. They were only 6 and 9...and boys...and they needed to RUN! The National Mall is the perfect place for that!
The Capitol building was under construction, but we were still able to show it to the boys.
Family memories forever in our hearts. :)
We made it to the Washington Memorial and the boys were so proud!
All the boys!
Sweet toothless Connorbug...
A windy day, we took it all in, snuggled and even had a chance to share a few thoughtful moments about our nation, those who have fought for our freedom and the meaning of being at our nation's capitol. It was a very rich time for us all.
The view looking on towards the Lincoln Memorial was very special. Landon was in his little history loving heaven.
We stopped at the World War II Memorial and had a time of pause, both boys very respectful, and Stan and I in awe at the many lives lost fighting for our freedom. It was very humbling.
It was also very beautiful, looking back at the Washington Memorial. I had been there as a child, but seeing it again as an adult was very special.
We took some time to point out the United States Marine wreath and talked about LD. It was emotional and meaningful.
The long walkway made for a great opportunity for running as much as possible, as we headed toward the Vietnam Memorial.
Because Stan's dad fought in Vietnam, this one was especially meaningful to all of us. I am sure you can imagine.
Lincoln Memorial! This is the only place we almost lost one of the boys. EEEK. It was very crowded and Connor wanted to try to slide down the rail of the long steps. What?! Again, no younger than 6 would I bring a BOY! Kudos to all I know who have!
I was so enamored by the Reflection Pool. The time of day we were there was absolutely stunning. I could have sat and started at the beauty for at least an hour. The boys were ready, though...so onward to our Ferry Ride on the Potomac we went!
I had to snap a picture of the Swedish Embassy for my parents...
Fun times on the Ferry.
And we ended with a little stop overlooking the Potomac. I love this picture...especially with the Washington Nationals' Bryce Harper jersey...
And let me not forget...another top highlight of the day...riding in a Taxi for the first time!
I have to say...the Cole Boys did a great job at "Doing DC". Hope you enjoyed my late, but very special and meaningful post.
No comments:
Post a Comment