Friday, June 20, 2014

Turning My Chair Around


First I will share some of my recent favorite pictures from the past week.  Then I will share my thoughts so my title makes sense...


Landon's first day out of school, I kept him home with Lindsay Jane and I.  I just love this picture.  The two of them really had a great time together and Landon was actually so good with her and to her.  I like thinking about the fact that these two are the same age difference as Stan and Anna and the special bond they share.  It is really sweet to watch and think about Stan and Anna growing up. :)


This is my favorite picture from Father's Day.  Stan got a leaf blower...his request and the boys were just thrilled with it, esp. because Stan took them outside with him and let them try it out.  Notice too, that Landon is standing on his tippie toes as he realizes how quickly his little brother is reaching his height...and will undoubtedly surpass him all too soon...


The pool finally opened and we had our inaugural day with out pool buddies, the Smiths!!  This picture makes me smile as I remember the sweet babies chowing down on the watermelon!  They could not stop eating it!!


Kay also got to come and offered to take a picture of us with the kids.  So often, moms don't get to be in the picture, so this was a nice treat too.


Landon and Sophia are 7.  This day at the pool, they were acting like they were 13.  They were sunning beside the pool "too cool" for school.  I tell you, these two are two peas in a pod...watch out world.  Gotta love their poses too.  All boy and all girl...


Little darling Emelia Helen and Lindsay Jane.  I tell you, I would borrow this little girl any day.  She takes care of Lindsay Jane as if she were her own little baby!  Lindsay Jane kept saying "Meme" for "Emmie" and would fuss when she would walk away.  :)


Look at that sweet boy!  I love this picture because it makes me think of how pleased Janise and Derek were to add this little BOY to their family.  He is just a delight and I love to see Janise so happy.  :)


This guy.  He is a joy.  While he is my emotional one who I really have to watch how I speak to...his emotional side also makes him so very endearing.  He is sensitive and kind, as loving as anything, loves to concentrate and learn and is full of imagination and charm.  He is basically, my dad, in little boy form.  :)


My, oh my, how our play group has grown.  This is only a portion of our playgroup (11 of the soon to be 19 kids total) plus our three neighbor kiddos.  We had water play today and it was such a joy to watch the kids romp around the yard, enjoying the water and sunshine of the summer.  What a blessing!

-------------------------------------------

Now on to my title.  I am reading yet another book...I will take any help I can get in insights and advice from other moms who have been there and folks more wise than I who have been serving the Lord a lot longer than I have.  It is called...don't laugh..."You're Going to Be Okay".  I am actually loving reading it and it has a lot of great insights.  One thing in particular struck me today.

I was reading the chapter called, "You'll Remember these Words".  The author (Holley Gerth) talks about looking all over he house for sunglasses that were right on her head...sound familiar?  She takes that experience and turns it into a springboard to talk about things our heart often forgets and ... needs to be reminded of.

I liked all of the reminders, but the one I liked best was the one called "One Day You'll be Home".  She talks about sitting down with her husband to enjoy a nice lunch on the patio of their favorite restaurant when her husband quietly says, "That group of women sitting behind us is reading your book and discussing it..."  The author, Holley, talks about casually glancing over her shoulder to see about a dozen women sitting there with highlighted copies of her book and the tears that filled her eyes with joy at the sight.  She then goes on to say that she felt Jesus whisper, "Heaven is when you get to turn the chair completely around."

She goes on to talk about that all of us have a calling, whether it is writing books, being a mama, running a company, leading volunteer efforts, or even struggling through a crisis.  And how, that in that calling, you have to trust that there is more than you can see...that one day, you will be able to turn your chair completely around and see fully, see fully- the joy we are bringing, the lives we are touching through Him who guides us and allows to to see glimpses now and see fully when we are with him.  "Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."  (1 Cor. 13:12)

I thought this was so powerful.  I often feel overwhelmed with my life, with being a mom of three, a wife, a nurse practitioner...and maintaining active involvement with friends/family and church, while I also care for my body and keep some sort of exercise routine and healthy menu!  I have a hard time finding the quiet time I crave to even be able to allow God to speak to me.  I pray I make a difference but at times it is just so hard to see, especially when your two boys are fighting like it is their job!!-Not that I AM experiencing that or anything.

This idea of turning my chair around completely was just refreshing.  It also helped me to see that I am not in control.  I just have to allow God to use me and trust that he is doing so.  I may not even be aware of it, but I have to trust that he knows best.  He knows best for my kids, my Stan, my job, my friends, my family, my church.  Funny how the more I learn about walking with Christ, the more I realize my need to relax and let go of control which I continually try to take back- it doesn't work!!!!  Trusting him every step of the way will get me to that day when I can sit with him and watch how he weaved together His masterpiece of my life- using me to touch others and help them to see His face.  It's not about my plan, it's about His. That is my goal, my prayer, my challenge.

Now, to soak all of this up and practice the art of relaxation and peace as we head to the beach for a week...what a timely reflection...once again, that is not a coincidence.

No comments: