I looked up the definition of disconnect today: not plugged in or connected to a power source. Though there were many different definitions, I felt this one was more closely linked to the title of this post.
As I reflected with a dear friend this morning, I used the above term, more as a noun than a verb. I am not sure if my thirties or being a mother have caused me to be more contemplative on life, my purpose, my varying interactions with people and relationships I hold dear.
I realized that there are many ways to use the word, "disconnect". Most ways are related to a power source being unplugged, a phone call dropped, a computer crashing, etc., etc. You can also use the term as a noun, more as a "disconnect" with another person who may not share your views or beliefs and you recognize that there is an "unbridgeable disparity" between yourself and said person.
What in my life have I disconnected from, where do I feel a "disconnect"?
As I grow in my faith, I am learning that there are some very stark disconnects with some of my "old" ways of thinking. Though, I am not a person who "turned away and rebelled" in college or even experimented with risky things, my way of thinking and processing life has changed as I have grown and hopefully matured in my faith.
I have always been what would be referred to as a person with a "nurtured conversion" in becoming a Christian. Often I have felt as though my lack of big wow has caused a disconnect with some folks who have been through a big life-altering moment.
I am disconnecting myself from that assumption. I have no control over how others perceive my life and my response to it. AND, I don't know that anyone even thinks this! What I do have control over is being connected to the one true power source, Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that my life has changed because of my relationship with Christ. In this Lenton season, I am going to work on my disconnect with life on this earth- and focus on my connection with Christ.
Sorry for the heaviness in this post. It's life, what can I say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment