Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Rest for the Journey

Back to reality has come quickly and kind of "in your face" since we returned from our whirlwind of vacationing.

Today, I finally got a chance to be caught up on laundry and ironing, have a clean house, have a quiet time and have a chance to exercise....now I can see through these clouds.

Stan mentioned to me a couple of nights ago that I really sympathize with people, he said, "I don't want to talk about it anymore, I am trying to get it out of my head." I guess part of that is Stan being an engineer and me being a nurse. I can see the value of "getting it out of your head" but I also know that keeping it in my mind brings me to prayer much more often. Besides, it's part of who I am I guess.

The past couple of weeks have been wrought with many concerns for return or progression of cancers, news of a miscarriage of a family member and my father in law having to endure intense physical pain while waiting for the medical team to develop a plan for surgery.

I find my mind racing, thinking, praying. In the midst of a busy mind, I also am awake by 6:00 most mornings to feed Connor and Landon has been having a tough time going to bed, some nights not until 10:00. And Landon...behavior challenges have returned and we are reading up, talking and trying to get a hold on it. Rest, are you serious?

Then, as I reflected and was lead to the Psalm below, I realized that God is giving me rest, it is here for the taking.

Psalm 131 (The Message)

1God, I'm not trying to rule the roost, I don't want to be king of the mountain.
I haven't meddled where I have no business
or fantasized grandiose plans.

2 I've kept my feet on the ground,
I've cultivated a quiet heart.
Like a baby content in its mother's arms,
my soul is a baby content.

3 Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.
Hope now; hope always!

No comments: