My dear father-in-law passed away a week ago Saturday. His life was a gift and I want to keep his memory alive for my boys. It doesn't seem fair to lose their grandfather before they really even got to know him. But, the legacy that L.D. left for my boys through their father is a true gift. L.D.'s legacy lives in Stan and I am so grateful to have had L.D. for the time that we did. He was the best father-in-law in the world.
I had trouble giving this post a title. How do I put a title on something so important, so tender? Should I call it "Untitled" since no words can truly capture the whole of this post? Would "Loving Reflections" be too cliche'? Anything I came up with sounded, well...off.
I was listening to Amy Grant's latest album this morning and the song, "Better than an Hallelujah" came on. The words filled the room and it struck me that L.D.'s life was lived in a way that was "Better than an Hallelujah".
The song reflects on many examples of cries out to the Lord in times of desperation and says that each of these cries, "the honest cries of breaking hearts", are "Better than an Hallelujah." This last week as we walked through L.D.'s last days together as a family, there were many cries out to the Lord and I believe all of these cries were better than 1,000 hallelujahs.
Hallelujah: an expression of praise used to express joy, thanks or admiration to God. How can hearing that your father-in-law may not make it and watching your mother-in-law receive this news be considered "better than an Hallelujah?" How can watching your husband lose someone he describes as "his best friend until you came around" be considered "better than an Hallelujah?" How can watching your 24 year old sister-in-law lose her daddy be considered "better than an Hallelujah?" There are so many more, so many cries of desperation out to the Lord that I witnessed this past week.
The way that I have to cope with L.D.'s death is through my faith and the faith of my family. Watching Pa Cole (L.D.'s father) come into the hospital room as L.D.'s passed from this earth was an example, if ever I have seen one, of the Holy Spirit at work. He went around to each one in the room, hugging them and stating his assurance that L.D. was home, he was with his Lord and Savior and God knew what was best for him. The reason all of these sad sad events are better than 1,000 Hallelujahs is because each one, each person, lifted their cries to God, trusting him whole heatedly to do the best thing for L.D. Each family member was a witness to God's love and promise, truths that L.D. helped to instill in his family and anyone he ever met.
L.D. was a man of such integrity. He was strong. He was tender. He was truly a wonderful father who absolutely put his family first- after God. He was a strong Christian with a very strong faith. He and I talked on many occasions about our faith and the way that faith got us through this life. Though L.D.'s physical body failed him in the last several years, he "squeezed every drop out of life he could". He didn't hesitate to go to the Asheboro Zoo with Landon right before Connor was born. In fact, when I sent to email about going to visit our relatives there at the zoo, he replied, "punch my ticket!"
He went camping with Stan only a little over a month ago. Though he was confined to a power chair most of the time, he made the camping trip work, even sleeping outside under the stars without a tent- taking a picture to show Kay and all. We just went out to eat for father's day where we presented him with a chair he wanted, a chair he gave Stan many many hints about wanting- he had a way of making his requests known. :)
He and Stan talked on the phone several times a week which meant I got to talk with him pretty often too. He always made sure he told me how much I meant to him and that he loved me.
He took time to get to know our boys. Landon Dow was named after him and L.D. called him, "Little Buddy". L.D. went with Stan to get Landon's first haircut done by L.D.'s barber, Paul. L.D. videoed the whole thing. L.D. loved to share moonpies with Landon and any other sweet treat he had around. Landon definitely got more than his name from his Pappa!
He described Connor as a "little sweetheart". Connor would just sit so comfortably in his arms, looking up at him so adoringly. L.D. also called him "Bubba #2" as Landon was "Bubba #1".
I used to take both boys to visit Kay and L.D. on some of my days off. I am so glad I did that. I am grateful for the time that L.D. had with our boys, the boys who will carry on his family name. Though it is so hard to realize that Landon and Connor will not get to know L.D., L.D. knew them for this time, and he made that time count. His influence on their lives will certainly live on through Stan and even me.
L.D. impacted my life in so many ways. He was always tender with Stan and Anna and I marveled at the way he showed them his love for them. I was so touched to become his daughter-in-law and it would be no surprise that he scooped me up and loved me like his own. I truly believe he was a gift to us all, that his life was lived "Better than an Hallelujah" and his legacy will live on forever.
God loves a lullaby
In a mothers tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
God loves a drunkards cry,
The soldiers plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah
The woman holding on for life,
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what's been done,
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah
Better than a church bell ringing,
Better than a choir singing out,singing out.
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah
Now for a trip down memory lane...
Stan and Landon built this snowman this past winter. L.D. would send pictures every day as he melted and say things like, "I'll be back again some day..."
Never missing an opportunity to celebrate a family member's success, here he and Kay are with me at my graduation from grad school. We had such a wonderful night and this is my favorite picture of me with the best in-laws in the world.
L.D. loved to cook steaks with Stan. This picture was taken on our beach trip in 2005 to Holden Beach. We had such a great time eating and having a "sorriness" contest- basically who could be the laziest on vacation. He was such a great father and friend to Stan. These two were as close as a father and son could possibly be. I pray for this kind of relationship for my boys with Stan.
Here L.D. is showing off his Duke shirt. He and I always had a rivalry going on since I went to UNC. He never hesitated to give me a hard time. I am so glad Duke won the National Championship for him in 2010. That takes a lot for a UNC grad to say, but I am so glad L.D. got to enjoy that.
This was the day veterans were honored at Kay and L.D.'s church. We all went to church together and honored L.D.'s service in the military. He was so proud of his service in the marines, yet so very humble. What a wonderful gift to be able to celebrate with him.
L.D. and Pa Cole "paddling" on the pond behind Kay and L.D.'s house. L.D. loved a canoe- that is for sure. He actually went out in their pond within the past 2 months. I am glad he did that.
I am pretty sure this picture was taken the same week Stan and I were engaged, back in 2001. L.D. helped Stan pick up my engagement ring and I love the story of Stan and L.D. carrying it out of the store looking over their shoulders to make sure no one was after them. :)
I will always remember how much L.D. loved breakfast. He was always in charge of breakfast and it was no small fruit and bread meal...he cooked eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy and even pork chops some times! He knew how to start his day off right and Stan has definitely inherited that from his dad.I will miss L.D. so much. I already do. I am so thankful for the time I had with him and for the fact that a man as wonderful as he was, was my husband's father and my sons' grandfather.
Thank you all for the phone calls, emails, facebook messages, cards, flowers, meals, visits, etc., but especially for your prayers. Please keep us all in your prayers as we go through a year of firsts without our L.D.
5 comments:
What a precious tribute to a wonderful man who represented his Lord and passed an amazing heritage on to his family. Kristen, what strikes me most about your post, after wiping my tears away, is your thankful heart. We have all been given so much and I love the way you acknowledged it here, even in your sorrow. That brings glory back to God, even in a circumstance that brings us sadness.
L.D. to me, was always the picture of strength. When I was a little girl, it was his physical strength--he seemed so big! In recent years, it's been his heart, his zest for life, even though he couldn't get around as well. He was a fighter. How sweet it was to see you all supporting one another and others during this difficult time. Please know that you and Stan and the boys will continue to be on our hearts and in our prayers. Hugs to you and your sweet family.
What an amazing tribute to your father-in-law. The under current of love you all had with each other was palpable through your words. I am so sorry for your loss but join with you in celebrating what a wonderful man you all had the gift to experience. My prayers are with you and your family.
Well, I certainly don't have many comforting words because, quite frankly, I've been here and there is no comfort except from God. What a blessing he was to all! And I'm sure he felt that way about you!
This is such a sweet way to remember LD and celebrate his life! My prayers are with you and Stan!
What a beautiful and heartfelt reflection of love and admiration for your father-in-law. I am so sorry for your loss but know that his memory will remain alive and well with your family.
Post a Comment