Monday, September 21, 2009

Landon's Fun Monday and Mommy Woes

Landon got to meet another turtle today! He is so fascinated with turtles and cannot seem to get enough of turtles or of any sea creature. JD, our next door neighbor, came over to play this morning and his Grandma DieDie stopped on the side of the road to pick up this turtle for JD and Landon to see. I tell you these grandmas will touch anything for these little fellas! Diana told me the turtle even peed in her car on the way here- YUCK! I think I need to toughen up before I have another boy! We kept the turtle so the boys could show their daddies when they get home from work. I could not believe how both boys were touching the shell and chasing the turtle. I don't know if you can see or not, but the turtle was quiet lively- his head was sticking out and he was the fastest moving turtle I had even seen!


Landon also shot his first hoops last Monday, but I managed to get it on film today. It was so much fun watching he and JD shoot the balls and actually get them in the basket! I have had that little basketball goal for about a year! Finally, some good use for these boys. I know it in only foreshadowing what is to come. I am so glad Landon has nice neighborhood boys to play with!

I actually got a picture of both boys smiling which was a miracle in itself...so sorry it is a little far away, but the fact that they are both smiling was worth posting!


So, such cuteness, how could there be mommy woes? Landon is such an amazing kid and I love him to pieces. There is no "BUT" only a... why do they have to become so dang defiant? It grips at me like nothing else and I hate it when I recognize that we are going to have to come down hard again because he is pushing too much. I think it is hard when I really feel like I am trying everything to help him feel secure, loved, cared for and he basically spits in my face (not literally). I think one of my best friends described life with a 2 year old the best...one minute you are laughing having a blast and thinking life could not be sweeter with this precious being, leaning in for a sweet hug... the next minute they hit you in the face for no reason.


On top of these trials, Landon is having MAJOR sleep issues. Stan and I are doing everything I know to do as a professional and a mommy and so far, nothing is working. I seriously cannot remember the last time he slept all the way through the night. I find myself asking, "Did he ever sleep through the night?" I know he did. Have all the changes leading up to having a new baby (new bed, new room, no paci, potty training) caused him to be stressed and it is coming out in his sleep? Mommy guilt, go away. I cannot believe he is having such sleep issues and I am looking at a every 2 hour waking and feeding schedule in the next 2-5 weeks. Please pray for my patience, it is so much harder when you are sleep deprived.


Why am I blogging then, when Landon is taking a nap? Because today he is not doing that either, and I have decided that I will leave him in his room for quiet time and what he does, is what he does. I am no longer going to stress about him skipping naps. But, it is hard when I truly need them. I used to think God was mad at me because I would pray and pray that he would help our sleep problems and they didn't seem to resolve. But now I realize, God is there, he has the best plan and truly, maybe not going through the shock of 8 hours uninterrupted (except for pee breaks of course) to maybe 2 hours at a time will be easier for me now that we are lucky to get four in a row.


Sorry for the woes, blogging is a good place to vent. Now I will go watch my soap and be mindless- unless of course Landon is actually sleeping, which is when I will take a nap. Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

So sorry for your mommy woes. Your friend was so right about bipolar antics of toddlers and preschoolers: angels one minute, crazy person the next. Just take a deep breath and try not let it get you down. This too shall pass. It's a phase. Vent to your friends and your blog. Have your husband take some of the stress of you when you are feeling overwhelmed. Take one moment at a time, because the next minute, your sweet little man will melt your heart into butter. Thinking and praying for you, my friend.

gina said...

I just finished a great book called "Don't Make Me Count to Three" by Ginger Plowman. It sorta kicked my butt, however I highly recommend it. Stick to your guns and be consistent with him. It will pay off. It will!

As for sleep issues, hang in there. I'm thinking of you. You've got people around to help when the baby comes. You'll be able to find some sleep here and there. Don't be discouraged.