Sunday, September 28, 2014
Shaving, Growing Up, Oreos and Fall Baking
I love this picture. It makes me laugh. Lindsay Jane is looking tough...Stan and his little girl. Stan did this with both boys as well, so of course, Lindsay Jane deserves a turn!
Daddy! That tickles!
As you may have seen on Facebook, Landon and I participated in our first triathlon. We had so much fun together. He was such a trooper! He swam like a little fish, had "the best bike ride of his life" and kept a pace at running that I really had to work hard to keep up with. The best part of the day for me was having him look over at me from beneath his little helmet and say, "Mom, this is the best bike ride ever!" I have to agree that it was pretty awesome. We were gliding along on the smooth road, a lot more open and free than he normally is.
I started reflecting on this a little. He is often stifled, I think, because he is the oldest of three. I often have to say no to things he wants to do because I have all three of them and Connor and Lindsay just aren't old enough to do the things that he can. It was really nice to spend this time with just him and show him that even though there are some things he can't do because he is the oldest of three, there are other things that only he can do because he is the oldest.
I treasure the time I get to spend with just him and when he seems to really let me connect with him. He has just been having quite an adjustment lately. I have to say, it has been a tough start to 2nd grade. I feel like it is the "new 5th grade." The demands are so high on him and we are really working hard to help him by supporting him with his school work but also letting him be a seven (SEVEN) year old too. I hate seeing papers come home with so much red on them, seeing him getting frustrated and getting down on himself. I didn't imagine this type of pressure would happen so early. And, I am not the only one. I know my friends who have their kids at different schools and even those homeschooling are feeling the pressure. I also know teachers are struggling with all of the demands and I feel for them. They already grow up so quickly, why does it seem that we have to push them ahead even more? Sorry, rant over.
On to more kid friendly topics...Oreos dipped in milk!
Lindsay Jane decided to pour her milk on her plate so she could get her cookie that much more soaked. :) She ain't no fool.
Landon, our old pro, schooled his brother and sister on this time old tradition. That is the type of smile I like to see on his sweet little face.
And...we have my two little chefs! We decided to welcome fall in style this week by baking pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Yummmmm.
Too much cuteness not to snap a picture...
Look for intent both of them were!
And, on to Lindsay Jane's very favorite chore of late...washing dishes. Get out of this girl's way when it is time to wash dishes!!
Enjoying the fruit of their labor...
And sharing it with our sweet friends.
Lindsay Jane was one happy girl, eating her pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and drinking her first cup of hot chocolate! Welcome Fall!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment