Have you ever dreamed of doing something and then had it come true? I have. I cannot believe it, but Stan and I have been taking ballroom dancing lessons for the past year and presented a choreographed dance this past Saturday. I am sure you have seen the pictures...but let me tell you the story.
Here we are, in all of our dapper wear...this all started about three years ago when Stan bought me a gift certificate for the Fred Astaire Dance studio for my birthday. What a gift, my favorite one he has even given me! We were planning to start with the lessons but soon we found out that our sweet Lindsay Jane was on the way...so dancing preggers was out of the question.
So, we contacted the studio and asked if they would honor our certificate after the expiration date of one year and told them our circumstance. They were more than accommodating and said we could sign up any time.
So, last April, I called the studio and we were off...we went in, took our couple lessons and became hooked...despite the expense (a real consideration) and decided time and time again, that it was absolutely worth our time and money to spend time on our marriage in this way.
There we are, waiting to dance...I love that we are smiling, even waiting...
One of our first moves, starting out the Tango to "Pretty Woman".
A favorite...Karen got this one in black and white and I love the way we are looking at each other. It.was.magical.
Leading into our Tango fan...
More Tango!
And a dip!
My sister could not be more talented...I love this shot. I love my husband and this picture captures why we have spent the time, energy, money and effort on doing this wonderful activity together. It truly has been a blessing and has done amazing things for our marriage.
Step touch...
Look at Stan...Such a sweet face.
Getting ready to finish up...
And, we did it!!!!!
Little buddy Landon came and cheered us on. I love how we are looking on and he is just smiling at his Tahti who was taking the pictures.
Kay brought little Landon and his trophy...and was one of our biggest cheerleaders.
Love these three.
Had to get the famous photographer!!
And then, Landon wanted to be in another shot. I think he was most excited about his trophy, but really felt like a big boy since he got to come to the performance and the other two had to stay home.
Landon and our dear friends, Katie and Tori, brought us flowers. I felt like a star. :)
My handsome husband.
Pose at the backdrop.
This is our instructor, Konstantine. He has been so wonderful and patient!! One of my favorite lessons is when he made Stan wear the frame holder...this contraption that makes you stand straight with using a good frame...Stan was not a fan, but it was so funny and cute. Konstantine has been so encouraging and is outstanding at what he does!! He has also been a big help with teaching me to follow...Stan has been happy about that!
And, Yulia...she is so special. She has been so wonderful too. She and Konstantine have alternated weeks with us, both imparting their dance wisdom on us. I have loved her little interplay with Stan, always challenging him to make those moves sharp and lead his lady... :)
One of the things I love about dancing is that this group of people is just Stan and I's...I know that sounds silly, but it is so wonderful to have a community that we have found together and have built together, doing something that is really unique. This is our dance family. :)
Champagne and roses from our instructors!
Enjoying the toast and sips. What a wonderful time of sharing something we have both loved and love doing together.
And...a kiss...I mean, how could dancing together not make your marriage stronger?
Thanks for sharing on our little journey through pictures. It has been a wonderful year and we have decided to continue our dancing. We will go to lessons a little less frequently but have found a wonderful dancing group that holds Saturday night dances to practice our skills. We have also found a great couple to dance with...any one else want to join?












1 comment:
Ah ME, I WANT TO!
Post a Comment