Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Best Decision of the Summer

Reflecting back over the summer as it closes, I recalled what I really consider the best decision I made this summer.  I took all three kiddos to the pool twice a week for 6 weeks.  Sounds like a great decision, huh?

Well, I had both boys in swimming lessons...with their best buds, Sophia and Emelia.  It was amazing all that they learned.  Landon went from not being able to swim to actually swimming and passing the test to get his yellow band to be able to go down the big sliding board he had been eying all summer.  It could not have been scripted better.  The last day of lessons, he practiced with his teacher, doggie paddled for 30 seconds and then being tired, swam to the other side of the pool!  After his lesson, Janise went and grabbed the life guard (they had to pass it in front of a life guard instead of just the teacher!!) and Sophia, Emelia and Landon jumped in and passed the test together.  It was awesome!!  Wish I could have seen it (I had to high tail it out of there because Lindsay Jane was tired and Connor was not quite ready for the test and I didn't want his little feelings to get hurt), but I got the text from Janise immediately after they did it and Stan stayed to let Landon enjoy his victory with several trips down the slide.  I was so excited for Landon I really got teary eyed.

I had seen him practicing and I was cheering him on as he finally reached his goal with his teacher.  Saying, "Go Landon, you can do it, you got this, keep it up."  I was cheering for that little fella with all my heart.  I was also praying that he would be able to reach his goal as I knew what a confidence builder it would be.  And, boy was it.  He wore that yellow band proudly for weeks!  I think I should have gotten one too! LOL!


Here he is practicing with his kick board.


This was the smile he flashed at me after he passed the test with his teacher.  I treasure this picture.  I feel like we did it together.  :)


Here is my Connorbug.  He had to have me look at him, each class and give him 2 thumbs up.  Then, he would give 2 thumbs up right back with the most precious grin.


Here is another shot of him practicing kicking.  He was such a trooper and really learned a ton!  I am so proud of him too and know that he will get that yellow band next year!


This little cutie tagged along...she wanted to have some lessons too!


And...this little cutie was also a part of our crew for the summer!!


Best buds!  I love this picture!


Our meals were pizza, hotdogs...anything easy.  By the end of the 6 weeks, we had dinner at the pool down, ordering two pizzas and having them delivered to our seats.  :)  Hey, Janise and I have this 3 kid thing.  hahahaha!


Me and my little love.  I just treasure Lindsay Jane and all of our time together.  She was such a trooper throughout the whole summer.  She is just pure sunshine.


It was also really nice to be able to spend time catching up with Janise twice a week.  We sat by the pool and watched the kids play as we talked about life and our week to that point.  It was a gift for me this summer and a blessing to have her extra set of eyes and hands!

So, who would have thought that the best decision I would have made this summer involved taking three kids aged 6 and under to a pool twice weekly from 4:30-7:00, during dinner time, having had to have woken the baby from her afternoon nap, often having to have the boys change into their swimming clothes into the car?  That's what having three kids is all about.  Sometimes the best decisions aren't the easiest...but are well worth it in the end.  I truly think we will all remember this 6 week stint very fondly and count it among our best summers.

No comments: