"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things but only ONE THING is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:41
"Martha did not realize that though she and Mary were both serving Jesus, Martha was neglecting her guest." NIV commentary of Luke 10:41.
This verse really stood out to me this week as I participate in an online bible study for women. I also remembered this picture and had a connection.
This picture was taken last Sunday as we gathered with Stan's family to remember and celebrate Stan's dad's life. You may remember this blog post.
Pa Cole got to spend a little time with Miss Lindsay Jane at the very end of our visit. She looked at his hands, hands that have seen 88 years of life. Hands that have raised four children. Hands that have provided for his family. Hands that have come together in prayer time and time again for his family. Hands that have lost a wife and a son. Hands that have become crippled by MRSA after a surgery for carpal tunnel. Hands that are worn. Hands that are weathered. Hands that are the epitome of love.
These days, things are kinda a rat race around here. As we drug all 3 kids out to Stan's family's farm, we skipped naps, left laundry undone, left lunches undone, left a kitchen undone, left a pile of mulch needed to be spread undone, left our lazy Sunday afternoon at home that helps to center us for the week ahead.
You know what else we left at home that day? We left stress. We left laundry, lunches, kitchen chores, mulch...Martha??? We left all the boxes that this type A mom likes to have checked off before the week begins. Martha???
Since I have started this online bible study based on the book, Stressed Less living, I have been getting up before my roosters. I mean, like 5:15 A.M.!! How in the world am I doing this and feeling less tired throughout the day? I am doing this with God's help and his promise that by focusing on him (the one thing) all other things fall into place and I realize their place in my "box-checking-mind".
So, last Sunday, I sat on the couch watching as Lindsay played with Pa Cole's hands. She took her tiny hands and wrapped them around his. She looked at his face with delight and wonder. She had a few precious moments of connecting with her great grandfather. That one thing was far more important than getting home an extra 15 minutes early. That one thing is what Pa Cole talked to Stan about the next day, that he treasured from our trip. That one thing connected Pa Cole to Lindsay Jane and in a sense, to her grandfather, LD.
I am a work in progress. I am learning to focus on THE one thing each day. By beginning each day in God's word, my life is much less harried and I am able to focus on other "one things". I have begun the perpetual task of saying no to great things again, something I have battled before...but with 3 little ones, I simply cannot do all of the many tasks and favors and playdates and coffee dates and gatherings, etc. that I used to. I thrive on pleasing people but also on caring for people. I hate saying no to great things! Especially when those things involve people I love and want to support and show them I care. But, by focusing on my three little ones and slowing my pace and commitments down, I have been able to enjoy more moments like the one above in the picture.
Focusing on the one thing for me means sacrificing sleep. I though I could not do it. I thought I would be more of that grouchy mom that shows up sometimes when I am tired. I thought I needed sleep. Guess what I was reminded of this morning..."I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep." John 10:11. God sacrificed his son, I think I can sacrifice sleep.
I will conclude by including some of the other wonderful pictures taken from last Sunday as we celebrated the life of Stan's dad. What a blessed time. What a reminder to focus on the one thing...and many other one things will fall in line. Let me be more of a Mary, Lord. Let me spend my time focusing on you and less on keeping up with all the tasks that make me feel more humanly in control. Let me let you be my ONE thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment