Friday, February 8, 2013
Let.It.Go.
So I have recently started doing an online Bible Study with some friends of mine and some 8,000 other women. I didn't realize there would be that many people participating and I have to admit...that makes it a bit overwhelming for me. I am still doing it, but kinda in my own way. I figure, why not play to the title of the book, Let.It.Go. and realize that I may not be able to to this study like everyone else. That.Is.OK.
We were challenged this week to think about several things and to blog about them and then do a "Blog Hop". Cool idea. But, I tried to view the tutorial and my link didn't work on email or on You Tube. I tried about three times to no avail. Then, I decided to Let.It.Go.
This morning started out on the wrong foot, our rear end...I might say. I came down stairs and greeted my sweet family, my husband cooking me eggs in the kitchen, Connor playing his e-reader, Landon getting dressed, asking me where his sports shirt was. Dad couldn't understand what Landon was saying and mom immediately understood, rushed upstairs and got the exact shirt he was thinking about for his sports day at school. One cool point for mama.
Lindsay Jane, my champion sleeper, still slept away as I kissed my sweet husband and thanked him for breakfast. He also lets me sleep in on days I don't work...sleeping in is until 7am these days. :)
You see, last night as I was trying to figure out the instructions to the Blog Hop, Stan was waiting for me in the bonus room for our nightly T.V. and talk time. After giving up the Blog Hop, I went upstairs to go snuggle with him. On my way to the bonus room, I stopped to wash my face and brush my teeth. While in the bathroom, I realized that our bath mats and rugs had still not been washed, though I had collected them from the floor over 48 hours ago. So, I immediately set out to put them in the wash. Well, there were, of course, clothes in the washing machine that had to be transferred to the dryer. So, I started doing this...time ticking away from snuggling... As I reached to get the last bit of clothing, I saw something. It.Was.A.Hotdog. What? I laughed out loud and thought, yes, this girl needs to Let.it.go. This, my friends, is my life.
I went and snuggled with Stan (after pumping of course) as we watched State and Duke play...now you know, I must enjoy snuggling with Stan since I am a Tarheel.
Stan and I quickly went to sleep but not before I pondered the question of the week from the Bible Study...Tool, Toy of Tangent. Tools are needed, they help us grow physically, emotionally and spiritually. They can be fun...like, let's say, Facebook. Used correctly, it can be used as a tool to help us keep up with extended family and friends. It can also be a toy...as there are tons of games (I don't have time for). Using it as a toy with limitations on time is also ok. It is, however, when it becomes a tangent, that it is dangerous. This occurs when you sit down to use it as a tool....and 2 hours and a billion clicks later, you have wasted 2 hours on basically...nothing. I could go into how to not use Facebook as a tangent...but you all can figure that out, set some guidelines for yourself. Instead, I wanted to focus on one of my tangents...that would be...my smartphone.
You see, it is the first thing I grab in the morning and the last thing I look at before going to sleep. It has my instant connection with friends via text, it has email, it has internet...I can scroll my facebook news feed, while texting and talking on the phone and cooking dinner. A multitaking mother's dream! What? I realized last night that my smartphone use has got to change. It is a tangent. It is ridiculous. So, how will I change that? I will all myself to look at email 3 times a day. I will turn the volume down on my smartphone when I am with my family, friends, kids. Afterall...how many immediately urgent texts have I gotten in the past year? So, if you text me and don't hear back immediately...it means I am doing something else with my FULL attention. This ties in the Bible verse from our study: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men" Colossians 3:23. I am going to stop using my smartphone for tangents and instead work at multitasking less...this will enable my to work at one thing at a time with my WHOLE heart.
Now, back to this morning...still thinking about the Hotdog in the washing machine...I smiled seeing my sweet family. I did not pick up my smartphone and remembered what I had been convicted of last evening. I heard Lindsay stirring, so I went to get her and bring her downstairs to nurse. I sat down on the couch, still so peaceful from my thoughts of the hotdog and the smartphone...My rear end felt cold...Oh well, I thought, as I talked to Connor about taking Landon's pants off and putting his own on (Landon screaming at him in the background). Then.It.Hit.Me. Why is Connor looking for new pants? Well...because he PEED ON THE COUCH! Right. Where. I. Was. Sitting! No, my butt wasn't cold, it was wet with pee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let.It.Go?
Well, let's just say that I did address this situation with my WHOLE heart...
So, Connor is in pull ups today because after I addressed the pee on the couch, he went and peed in the floor in his room. My mommy guilt went all over the place as I started beating myself up for whatever reason I could think of that this was my fault some how...another tangent of mine...for another BLOG post. Then, thankfully, as I cried out to God, he gently reminded me to Let.It.Go.
So, yes, he is in pull ups and is potty trained. But, I know that he will have a happier mommy today if I don't have to deal with urine on one more piece of furniture or floor...esp. since we are headed to playgroup at Janise's house!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment