
I recently finished
this book which I highly recommend. It has really made me think about why I do things, especially in relation to my being a mother. I was looking at Landon riding up the driveway on his scooter and I had many thoughts. Yes, my little boy is growing up and I don't want some of the things to change, but in other ways, his growing up is just plain fun and very rewarding. Seeing him master this skill and ride away with confidence made me think about what I want to instill in my children.

I want them to have fun with their friends. I want to be intentional about who I let them hang out with. Here is Landon with Sophia who is his dear friend. It is so sweet to see him helping his friend slide down the water slide, taking turns, encouraging one another and also being their wild and crazy selves (if you have ever seen these two together, you will know what I am talking about).

I love this picture. I love that Connor and Emelia are sitting in these little chairs content for the moment and thinking very hard about something. I want to encourage my kids to think and to be ok not knowing what it is that they are thinking about. I also want to be there and to engage in conversation about what is on their mind- even if in this case, it looks to likely be a bug. :)

Popsicles! Just plain fun. I want my kids to be able to have sweet treats and enjoy them. I want to relax all the right ingredients sometimes and let them enjoy the character popsicles that probably are not "all natural". :)

I want to be a mom who models deep friendship and respect for others. I love this picture and the friendship Landon has with Sophia. I also love the friendship I share with Sophia's mommy, Janise. The daily joys and challenges of motherhood have been so much sweeter and easier with Janise. She is one of those few friends who just "gets me" and isn't it ironic how our kids "get each other"- even though their energy together is very difficult to reign in at times...

Another scooter shot. I love the confidence I see in his eyes. It is definitely worthwhile to take note of each of his triumphs and let him know that I am, indeed, proud of him.
--------------------

We were also blessed to have a visit from our family this past week. Vivian and Fred came to visit us and Landon bonded with my Uncle Fred again. When Landon was about 2, Fred and Vivian came and Landon made the connection that one of his little trucks had the same name as my Uncle. He kept holding the truck up to Fred and looking back and forth at Fred the truck and Fred the Uncle.
That had been about 2 years ago, but Landon still seemed to warm right up to Fred. Fred had his eyes closed on the couch and was obviously resting, but that did not stop Landon. He started engaging Fred in play and how could Uncle Fred deny the little fella? He couldn't...

Zaiya, Tahti Karen and Marc also came over and these three had a blast together. What a riot it was watching them play in this box as Tahti Karen threatened to tickle them over and over. Seeing these three growing up together is also something I want to be intentional about. It is really awesome to me that my kids know that Zaiya is special to them. They get so excited to see their "baby cousin" as Landon calls him.
It is a great gift to have Karen so close. She and I have been very intentional about our relationship which is why it is as strong as it is today. I am so proud of my little sis and admire her as a mom so much. Talk about a mom who is intentional with her child... Zaiya is one blessed little buddy to have my sis as his mommy. I think I am pretty blessed with both of them as well...and of course, Uncle Marc, Landon's special giggle maker.

And, a priceless shot of Karen and I with our three boys and Aunt Vivian. Don't even ask about how many tries this took and how ridiculous the adults looked. Yes, I am very intentional about pictures, whether that frustrates the men in my life or not! :)
--------------------

This Saturday, we went to visit Heather, Ryan, Emma and Reid for Reid's 2nd birthday. We had a blast, as always with them. Heather and I caught up, the kids played and the men, well...they did bond...and were also caught sleeping on their respective couches during a golf game. So, I guess it would be fair to say that a "good time was had by all".
Landon and Emma are also the best of friends. Even though they really don't get to see each other as much as we would like, they always pick up right where they left off, just like their mommies. Sharing this life with such wonderful friends is just the best. That is one thing I have always been thankful for- the friends God has placed in my life. I pray that my kids grow to have the deep friendships that I do and spending time with such dear people is a good way to start!

Because it was a birthday party, there were noise makers.... Heather claims she thought they just blew out, not blew out noise....

And much more noise from these two... :)

Happy Birthday Reid! I cannot believe you are two!

Here's my girl, Heather- as beautiful as ever, expecting her third little joy. I couldn't be more elated for her.
When I think about being intentional in this life, I think about the lives that have touched me along the way. Heather's journey has been one that has not been easy, but she has always maintained a quiet confidence that God is in control, that sometimes life stinks and you have to keep moving, that laughter is very good medicine and that prayer does work. She is also one hard working and determined woman who is a remarkable mother.
Here's to you, Heather... and here's to all of you ladies (and gents) out there who inspire me every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment