Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Preparations

Have you ever seen a more adorable crew? We had a chance to dye Easter Eggs at playgroup last week. As we sat around in Sunday School the week before and everyone shared their stories about Easter memories, I thought it was time to get the Easter Eggs out...and what a better venue than our Friday morning playgroup!!

The kids had such a blast and so did all the mommies, making memories and taking time to enjoy the beauty of Spring.

Here is Janise helping Emelia, who really got into decorating. It is truly amazing what a 2 year old can do.

Sophia, Landon and Baylie took time to humor me and smile for the camera pre-decorating...they could hardly wait!!

Stacey was the master-dyer, showing the kids how to make the eggs especially pretty. :)

Here's Emmie, concentrating...I love this face!! She was putting stickers on her egg after she dyed it pink.

Baby Kaeden even took a little chance to cheese for the camera. :)

And, Connor, our little ham. He was busy eating crackers, cheese, fruit, basically anything he could get his hands on while we all decorated the eggs. Next year, Connor-bug.

Here is Ursula showing Abigail how to roll the paints onto the egg. Yes, we went all out...there were colors to dye, paints to roll, wax crayons to use and stickers. These were some eggs!!

Here I am trying to show these wild kiddos how to roll the paints on as well...the after a spill due to their uncontainable excitement to GET STARTED all ready!!

Then we headed outside for a picnic. It is truly amazing how food motivates kids. They were so great and sat on the picnic blanket enjoying every moment, as did the mommies.

Now for dessert...they got to eat their eggs! :)

Landon says, "Yum!" I think the idea that the egg was actually dessert made Landon eat his first whole hard boiled egg. Maybe I should start calling brussel sprouts dessert???

And one more group shot...just can't get enough of their little faces. :)

Landon really wanted to do more the next day, so I obliged...

One happy little boy.

Landon is so very particular, he has to get the colors just so...I wonder where this perfectionism comes from?

Now they are done! Look at him holding on for dear life!

Our next big Easter event was an Easter Egg Hunt over at Sarah and Holt's house. Sarah put together an Easter Egg Hunt with special symbols in 12 eggs that the kids had to find. These eggs told the story of the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus. It was a meaningful time to share the Gospel with our kids. It was really neat to hear the kids talking about Jesus and really engaging in the questions...alright, the first few...they did get restless and started running around like crazy people, had a few meltdowns, and what can I say, they are kids. :)

Connor and Lily were in the background making joyful noises unto the Lord...

Here is Landon bringing an egg to Sarah. I think this egg had a small piece of bread in it, representing Jesus's body.

Anna beat all the big boys to the last egg, the empty egg, representing the empty tomb!! Go Anna!

Now time for more hunting. Do you think these boys are having fun?

Landon hamin' it up for the camera, showing off his Easter egg collection.

It truly has been a time of joy watching my children learn through this Holy Season. I was just thinking this morning that I hadn't reflected enough, I hadn't taken the time necessary to really ponder what Christ did for me. But, when I look back through these pictures, I realize that part of my calling as a mom is to teach my children the truth about Easter. And that takes time and reflection. In the midst of thinking I was not reflecting enough, I was building special memories with my children. God has a special way of showing us he is always here, doesn't he?

I pray your Holy Season has been a time of meaningful memories and reflection on the true sacrifice and gift Christ is to us.

He is RISEN!!

No comments: