Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Come Slowly

Today I feel like I finally got a chance to reflect on Advent. Above is the Advent Wreath that Landon made with his hands and some rolled construction paper (of course mommy helped out a little bit). I finally got a chance to teach Landon about the meaning of the Advent candles. Even though his attention span is that of a gnat, I think he actually heard that the candles represent Hope, Joy, Peace and Love. I did my best to get the message in and I think I am rounding the corner to him realizing that Christmas is about Jesus's birthday, not Santa.

Here is a picture of us trimming our tree. Connor was very interested in the lights...and sitting in his favorite spot...my hip. :)

Landon put the Angel on top. He was so proud to be able to help out. He is such a big boy now!

Jimmy the elf came out. Jimmy, our elf on the shelf, was a welcomed tradition we started last year. Landon has not been as interested in him this year, but Stan and I continue to hide him and encourage Landon to look for him. Jimmy "watches" Landon and reports back every night to Santa and lands somewhere different in our house. So fun!

I have reflected on this precious blessing. It is amazing to think about the miracle life is and how he lived inside me for 9 months. I think of Mary...the miracle she carried compared to my experience. WOW! I still find myself in awe that she was so accepting of God impregnating her with the Holy Spirit. She was like, "OK". Childlike faith I strive to have more of...

My little reindeer. What a cutie. He is really enjoying being a part of Christmas this year. He has especially enjoyed tissue paper and singing dogs and reindeer.

He has also loved his milk...

And still likes me to feed him. This picture is truly...my reality. I didn't know it was being taken. Hair up, leg up, focused on the privilege it is to be a mother. Not glamorous. I love my job.

Landon and I have been doing a lot of crafts together. I find the best way to talk to him and get at his innermost thoughts is to talk while doing crafts. He has shared things about losing Stan's dad, about how he feels in general, about the meaning of Christmas and about things he learns about in school. I treasure our time.

First time with Fondant...both his and mine! Who knew Sam's Club would have Fondant in their gingerbread house kit!

He was SO proud of this gingerbread house. While we were making it, he told me that candy "kept jumping in his mouth". Too cute. I just love this funny little boy.

Next craft...cookies on a stick.

Uncle Marc came and helped. It was so neat to see Marc working on little snowmen with Landon. Landon will always treasure this memory.

Finished products.

One proud baker! "Can I eat it now??????"

So, finally a chance to show you a little life at home. I am able to spend time with my boys and truly love it. It is a challenge in this life to stop and do the simple things, to allow yourself to be slow. In reflecting on Advent, I want the rest of this season to come slowly. I do not want to rush. I do not want to wish it away. Stan is a wonderful gage for me in keeping things slow. What a blessing he is. I cannot believe how very special he is and how God gave him to me. Let us all be thankful for time to be slow, time to reflect and time to wait...especially when the waiting is for our KING!!!!! Happy Advent.

2 comments:

Janise said...

Thank you for sharing! Always love your blogs and it looks like you guys are having a wonderful Advent!

Melissa Langdale said...

I love this! You are such a great mom! These pictures are adorable!