Monday, November 22, 2010

Thirty-Three

Well, on November 18th, I turned 33. Janise's birthday is the day before mine and our playgroup had a celebration for us on Friday! Look at that awesome cake from Lucia who has a 2 week old!!! My baking hero!

I had a blast celebrating this year. Stan gets major props for taking off an hour early on my birthday to make my cake with Landon- you can see Landon enjoyed every minute!

Stan also took care of dinner for my birthday and let me go shopping with Allison on Friday, drove to Greensboro on Saturday so we could be at Heather's daughter's birthday party and let me go shopping with Janise on Saturday just before he took me out for dinner!! Seeing Allison, Heather and Janise in one weekend was such a gift - having dinner alone with my hubby was also a special treat (thanks to Moo and Nanny for that one!)

I find myself reflective over this birthday, realizing that I am quickly stepping into my mid-thirties. Wow. There are so many great things about my thirties, I thought it would be a great time to list those out. I continue to be at a constant push and pull with my flesh to allow God to mold me and shape me into the woman he wants me to be. I learn more daily as he prunes me, especially through the gift of motherhood.
  • I can laugh at myself much more than ever before
  • I am ok with who I am (of course there is room for improvement, but I am less affected by other's opinions than I used to be)
  • I am stronger than I used to be (I remember when a wise mentor told me I needed to get thicker skin. I was offended at the time - in my early twenties- but now I get it)
  • I am getting better at sharing my opinion in a tactful way even if I know others won't agree (especially when relating to sharing my faith)
  • Thus...I share my faith more
  • I am choosing to spend my time more wisely
  • I am choosing to surround myself with those who uplift me and devote my "friend time" to those people instead of spreading myself so thin in less than uplifting relationships
  • I am talking to my husband more (instead of holding my hurts or disappointments in)
  • I am generally more thankful
  • I am learning that sticking through the tough times can really make relationships stronger that I may have otherwise written off
  • I am learning to accept constructive criticism better and apply that to making a better me
  • I have learned the freedom in forgiveness and plan to do it more quickly
  • I am learning the freedom in vulnerability and realness, I treasure my "reality friends"
  • I am enjoying staying home with my boys and feel less pressure all the time to work more (thanks in large part to my supportive husband)
  • I am learning to be more patient (still have a ways to go on this), esp. from my boys :)
  • I am learning how truly short life on this earth is and am looking for ways to make lasting impressions, especially as a mother
  • Had one of the biggest joys in motherhood this morning when Landon asked, "Mommy, can you read me the bible?

Well, there is a lot more, but I am going to go work out now. I am also learning to value in doing the things I need to do for myself in a less than scheduled pattern. Both boys are down, my BLOG is updated and dinner is leftovers. If I work out now, I can do my quiet time instead of working out tonight and that sounds like a great ending to my day.

Happy 33rd to me. Hard to believe. Thanks for reading and for the support and friendship you each give to me in your own way.

3 comments:

Anna Bowland said...

I love you! Hope you had a great bday.

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday! Thank you for focusing on the positives about getting older.

Janise said...

Sounds like the perfect birthday! I am so thankful for the wonderful day God made you and graced the world with your presence!!! What a gift you are to so many and especially me! I am so thankful to be one of your reality friends and love, love, love that we share our birthdays! Love you friend! Happy, happy Birthday!!!