Friday, August 28, 2015

Back to School 2015, K and 3rd Grades



Well, we have now made it through the first full week of school.  What a past two weeks!  We have been anticipating anticipating anticipating!  I think it is great how they ease Kindergartners into school, a little at a time, but it is a logistical challenge...well worth it, mind you, but Stan and I had more juggling than even our usual to do to get everything and everyone where they were supposed to me.

Here is a picture of both boys, last Wednesday.  Connor and Landon both went half day,  but it was the first day I watched two of my babies walk into the school, leaving me behind.

We did have some fun the weekend before and between, so enjoy our little adventurous two weeks, if you like.


The boys had their annual lemonade stand.  It was precious as always.  50 cents was the rate, buy one get one...kudos to our sweet neighbors who indulged our children.  What a cute cute tradition and just is the epitome of childhood...right before making another transition in school.  Very sentimental.



We also had our dear friends, the Smith's, over for playtime and pizza.  These kids have grown up together, so it was only fitting to share some childhood fun with them before another school year started.  The three girls of the group were happy to show off their princess gowns.  I was so pleased to think that Lindsay Jane may indeed still like princess gowns in 6 years when she is Sophia's age.  I feel myself hanging on to these sweet sweet things of childhood.  ;)


Day one for Landon Cole!  This was the day he started the big 3rd grade!



He looks so big and tall...and grown...


Seems like just yesterday, he was playing in peas and spaghetti...


His personality has not changed much...but his way of expressing it sure has.  What a little firecracker, this one.  He was thrilled about going in to see his friends.

He is my social bug, my lover of people.  He is a math-minded baseball lover.  He is extremely sensitive to the Holy Spirit and blows me away with his ability to understand abstract things about faith at his age.  He is also energetic, feisty, a bit strong willed and very determined.  These qualities will take him far in life, I believe, just be careful when you ask me about parenting this fine young fella...


Outside of school shot with daddy and sibs...


3td grade.  I cannot believe it.   He reports he wants to be an Engineer and a dad like his daddy.  He also gave Connor some excellent advice for his first day of Kindergarten, "Just don't get sent to the Principal's office in Kindergarten like I did..." Ummmm.



Landon and Connor making their 3s and Ks for me while eating Landon's choice of dinner for his first day of school...fish sticks, strawberries and carrots, we are talking gourmet here, folks.  But, it is exactly what he wanted.

You may also notice a piece of paper and a pencil.  That was Landon's list of ten things he is grateful for on one side with ten things he can do when he is bored on the other.  Ahem.


The next morning was Connor's turn!  I fixed him a pancake for breakfast to start his first day of Kindergarten off right!  Look at that precious little face.


Just exactly how is it that he is so so tall?


My sweet baby.


Thumbs up and ready to rock and roll!


Repeat picture in front of the school with daddy and sibs, this time on Connor's first day.  I think LJ had the same expression in both...


Big school, big boy.



I could just eat him up.  He is my sensitive, loving, caring, snuggle bug.  He loves to play, create and imagine.  He loves to figure out how things work.  He loves to ballroom dance and he loves his family.  He has a special way of making others feel loved and is just a little charmer.  He also says he wants to be an engineer and a dad when he grows up, just like his daddy.  So hard to see how very big he is...


This was seriously, just yesterday...


And now, he is in Elementary school.  He hugged old mama and walked right on away with his big brother.  Just like that, and number 2 is off...


Right away, he has made a new friend.  He met Wyatt in Kindergarten camp and these two hit it off right away!  So wish they were in the same class, but they live around the corner and ride the bus together, so Connor is happy about that.  He has been begging for some little boys to play with. Seems the lottery for his class ended up with mostly girls...I guess this is little man's destiny to be around a lot of little girls.  :)  I think he will fair just fine.


I followed him to his classroom, where his teacher had left out play dough for the kids to work on as class started.  He would barely look at me for this picture.  He was totally ready to be a big kid.


We hopped in the car and went to run an quick errand...with this little one who enlightened me that she wanted to be Hello Kitty when she grew up...love love love it.


I went in to get this sweet little guy and snagged a picture with his new teacher, Mrs. Faulkner.  She seems so great and Connor is so happy, stating, "Woods is the best school ever!"



And, I had to get another picture of just the two of them outside of school.  I think by this point, as you can tell by Connor's expression, he was done with pictures.  :)



The boys had a special treat that afternoon as Miss Erin, our sweet babysitter, came to see them off before leaving for college at Ohio State.  She brought them Shell Silverstein's Where the Sidewalk Ends and came to spend some quality time with them.  It meant so much to me.  What a terrific babysitter and friend, who will be so missed by all us Coles!



Everyone was pleased with Connor's choice of his first day of school meal...Waffles with whip cream, bacon, scrambled eggs and a trip to TCBY afterwards for what happened to be "Waffle Cone Wednesday". Yum!

Don't let these sweet faces fool you one bit.  We had an unbelievably difficult time with manners and respect with our school year transition this year.  We did go out for yogurt but won't be returning for some time...all kinds of reasons I know transitioning is difficult, but man...I am serious, these past two weeks have worn me down.  Lots of sibling fights, disrespectful words and less than desirable manners.  Two tired parents.


So, we went away for a night for just what we needed, some adult time!!!  We went to celebrate our dear sweet Kim's wedding!


We clean up pretty nicely, eh?


 Ahhhh.  Time to finish conversations.  Time to eat in peace.  Time to enjoy each other and our friends.


Kim's mom and dad.  Got to love Jean.  She is such a gem and a ray of sunshine.  She lights up a room when she walks in..


Wonder where Kim gets it?  Here is the new couple!


I just love seeing her smile.  Kim has a special place in our hearts as she was our Nanny for years. Stan and I met her when she was in middle school youth group and we were leaders...what?  We are really starting to get old, y'all.


Another sweet friend!  We got to spend some much missed time with another mama of three who is even busier them me!


What a treasured time for us to spend with Kim.  Seeing her so happy brings a special kind of joy to my heart.  If you have ever met Kim, you know how very unique and unbelievably special she is. Stan and I stand in awe at the ways the Lord has blessed us with beautiful people like Kim who have been a part of our family in genuinely loving our children as their own.  We are also big fans of her new husband and feel blessed to have gotten to know him too since the beginning of their relationship.  Weddings like this one just bring such joy to my heart.


Pop and Mommom kept our little munchkins for us so we could go to the wedding.  Pop and Stan made sure to get in some chess time with Connorbug.  He is quite the little chess player.  It is pretty impressive.


Lindsay Jane enjoyed herself in her little Hello Kitty finest, as she colored away...


More concentration...they have the same "concentrating face".


Mommom reading LJ her favorite books.  Precious times.


You thought it was only chess for my Connor?


And then, my kids discovered my love of horses.  It was so unbelievable how both Connor and Lindsay Jane were both just enamored with the horses at the stables at Tanglewood.  Connor could hardly contain himself.  He could speak of nothing else except for saving enough money for a horse ride...


Lindsay Jane was just as smitten.  I was secretly very pleased.  :)




Next stop...the playground.  I am so delighted at the joy that he playground can bring to my kids. Look at those precious smiles.


And...back to the grind...first bus ride for Connor this past Monday! He was so so excited!


Love this sweet little picture of these brothers.  ;)


We all gathered at the bus stop to see them off...even mama who doesn't get to the morning bus stop too often.


Going...


Going...


Going...


Sweet boy, I will never forget this.  He was blowing me kisses the whole time he sat there and signing "I love you".  It was precious.  It was so so so my Connor.  This boy is just so sweet.


Sweet LJ was blowing kisses too...then crying, "My broders, my broders, I get on the bus too, I am a big girl!"  It was so precious and sad at the same time.  I think we are all going through quite a little transition.


Gone...


And...this is the picture Stan got when Connor and Landon got off the bus...Connor looks like her fared just fine.  He is ready to take on the world!

I hope you enjoyed my pictures and captions.  It really was a great two weeks of wonderful memories made.  There were ups and downs and there were lunches to pack and attitudes to adjust.  But, all in all, I am super pleased with the way Landon has taken Connor under his wing, sitting with him on the bus and looking out for him at school.  I really think Landon's love of his little brother has really helped Connor with this transition.

God has a plan in all things and though I sometimes question him, even on things like the order my children were down in, I see that he works for the good of those who love him.  He has both of my boys and my sweet Lindsay Jane right where he wants them- in my arms.  What a responsibility and what an honor.  Here is to a great Kindergarten and 3rd grade year for my precious little boys!

No comments: