Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day 2015



Happy Memorial Day from our Family!


We started our weekend with a camp out at Nanny's house.  The boys got to fish, camp, ride in L.D.'s old canoe, have s'mores, ring the old dinner bell (about a million times), shoot hoops, play baseball, throw the football, eat lots of camp out food- definitely not on my healthy list, spend time with Nanny, Moo, B, Cole and our neighbors!  They had a blast!


Connor sitting and fishing.  I love pictures like this one.  The setting could not be more beautiful and the little boy could not be more precious.  Connor actually caught his first fish by himself- he tells me it was a large mouth bass.  He would definitely be one to tell fish stories...


Porter and JD also both caught fish.  This is truly a little boy's paradise.


And a mama's... :)


Landon took his turn and was a successful fisherman as well.  He even got inventive on us...pictures to follow...


Sam Poley loved driving around the golf cart.  I must admit, it is quite fun driving around the farm with this little gem.


Landon's first catch of the weekend and a proud pair of Cole boys to show it off.


Anna and Connor, being their creative little selves, preferred to throw rocks and frolick along the edge of the pond collecting random items.  It wasn't exactly the bet combination with folks fishing...


But, the boys still manged a few good catches.  And this big sunfish took two men to wrangle...apparently.


Steph and Sarah enjoyed the view with their matching sun hats.  ;)


Meanwhile, the toddlers were all into everything.  They drug this old cart out from beneath the house. Having been there for a while, all the blocks were covered with spider webs, so they all had to be sprayed off.  What toddler doesn't like a water hose?


Pulling the cart took a little negotiating...


But the cousins worked it out.  :)


These three amigos went for a ride in the little wagon, pulled by very cool Uncle B.


Meanwhile, Connor, still a little kid at heart (his body is just not so much), popped on the motorized toy and went for a spin.


Then, started the ringing of the old dinner bell.  Lord, have mercy.


More negotiating.


Cole is starting early with his baseball skills- which I am sure his dad does not mind one little bit!




Don't mess with a little girl who has two older brothers!



Canoeing round one.




Silly girls waiting their turn.



Whew.  Having two 2 year olds in the canoe...it was actually fun!  We were able to counterbalance their leaning to look in the water...and they did have their life jackets on.  But, it was a little crazy.


Kay and I took it for a spin as well. It really could not have been a more beautiful day.


Holt and JD still fishing.


Precious Cole flashed his favorite aunt a giant smile.  Love this little nugget!


Camp out time!


BFFs.


Bubbles!



Our grill master.


More old dinner bell ringing...



Throwing football with Uncle B.




All were happy with hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, fruit, veggies and all the fixin's.


So much easier to take pictures of grown ups...especially when they are as photogenic as these two!


Like I said, he is starting early.




More fishing shots.  It is really hard to capture all the beauty that is present at the family farm.  It is breathtaking.


So, Landon's fishing rod broke.  He then, decided he would make his own minnow catcher, which he is holding in this picture.


He sat just like this and guess what, he actually caught a fish.  Unbelievable!  There is a lot to be said about a determined little spirit like this one!!!


JD's big sunfish catch.


Daddy getting the fire ready for s'mores...yummmmmmm.



Waiting impatiently.


The original Coles of this homestead.  It's hard to look at them and not miss LD.  It has been almost 5 years and it still seems like yesterday that he was sneaking candy and taunting me about Duke.  It's lovely being all together, but it still isn't the same.  God gives us strength to get through the toughest times, but that doesn't mean it is easy.  I think Memorial Day, in particular, makes me miss LD and realize that it costs for my freedom.




Preparing the marshmallows for s'mores...




I would say they were a hit!


And, this was my tired 2 year old who did not nap, after eating two s'mores.  CRASH.  I scooped her up and took her home.  She feel asleep on the ride and I transferred her right to her bed when we got home.  No camping for this mama with a 2 year old...not yet.

The boys stayed the night and did great.  They woke at about 6 the next morning and Stan cooked a good ole' fashioned Cole breakfast feast. Pancakes, eggs, and the likes...and lots of coffee for the grown ups.

The did more fishing and enjoyed wrapping up the weekend.


Next stop...a Memorial Day festival!  Stan and I decided we really wanted to do something to teach the kids about Memorial Day.  We found this festival in Wake Forest and decided to make the drive. The kids did great and even though we kept Landon out of school (for his snow make up day), we felt it important enough to do so.


The kids got to see Dan the Animal man in person.  He, who has tamed monkeys and chips...he had this owl and also an alligator, which LJ said about, "I not like that guy."  She was talking about the alligator, and just after Dan opened that big ole' mouth of teeth.  Don't blame her.



We heard from WWII and the Korean War veterans.  They ranged from 83-94 years old.  Landon could not believe how old they were.  Most of them were in the Navy and told stories of war and submarines.  The boys really latched on to these, especially because their Uncle John is in the Navy.  It was really important to us to have the boys learning about what our freedom cost.  It is just a different level, I think, because of Stan's dad.  But, I really feel like all American's should pause on Memorial Day and really consider the real cost of our freedom.


Touching moment.


This boy told me that when he got older he wanted to fight for his country.  Kinda took me a minute to breathe.  Makes me also think about all the mamas out there who's sons have fought for my freedom.  Really sobering, esp. as I think about how much I love my boys.


Our crew celebrating our veterans in such a beautiful setting!  Makes me want to sing that song, "I'm proud to be an American..."


The kids were super impressed by this military vehicle, which they even had a chance to ride on.


Sweet daddy/daughter moment.


Close up of our boy, who played hookie...


It was really cool to be so close to these trucks.  I was also amazed at how they could maneuver, being as big as they were.


The kids were so excited to be able to ride in the back...


But, it was one of those rides that Stan and I weren't so sure was 100% safe once the guy got going...See Stan's daddy grip?



And we ended with a free meal.  This festival was out on a family farm in Wake Forest.  It was such a nice tribute to veterans and apparently they do this every year.  I am guessing there were 1000 people there, at least.  The watermelon came at a great time as we had waited in line for at least 30 minutes with very very hungry children.  We ate and headed home.  Lindsay Jane slept all the way home and was ready to go once we drove in the garage.


So...we got out the pool.  :)


I am not sure who was more excited, Lindsay, Connor...


Or Stan?




Stan did get out to play some baseball with Landon, which he loved.  This little boy has the fever!


Holt and Sarah graciously shared ice cream cones with the kiddos!


Happy camper.


Finally. A picture with dear old mom...who is most often behind the camera.  Love this little boy and the snuggles I got in this moment were worth keeping him home from school in and of themselves. ;)


And, I will finish with this one...

Happy kids, happy heart, happy memories.  Happy Memorial Day!

No comments: