Thursday, April 23, 2015

13.1


Well, I did it!  I have always wanted to run a half marathon and I did it.  It is still really surreal.  I have said it for so long, I just feel like I have to pinch myself...I actually did it!

Sarah and I started officially training in January of this year.  It was so much fun.  We both had our training schedules hanging in the kitchen, we shared information we learned from those who had gone there before us (you know, GU, energy beans, carb loading, that you often GAIN weight during training- boo) and we had the awesome support from our husbands to keep our three kids each while we went on long Saturday runs.

Let me tell you, as awesome as it was running that race and completing that goal, it was just as awesome seeing how God allowed Sarah and I to really bond during those three months of training.  I have been running another marathon in my life with one of my kids and having her to listen, support, encourage and pray was truly a gift from God.  I will never forget this time for many reasons, but just as significant as my accomplishment of a lifelong goal, was the gain of a deep understanding and honest true friendship.  And y'all, God gave her to me as a neighbor.



We arrived Friday night to this...my parents carb loading us.  They made a delicious shrimp pasta with bread and we even had a glass of wine each.  :)  Appetizers fulfilled the salt requirement- guacamole and chips!  And, the best part- the encouragement and excitement that good ole mom and dad imparted on us.


Dad, making sure it was just right.


Our generous hosts!


Cheers!  Why, yes, I will have just one glass! :)


Super super excited.

So, we went on back to the house we rented and settled in for the night.  We had ordered the glorious Harris Teeter groceries via their Express Lane and picked up all the groceries for the two families for the week.  We got out a few things and headed to bed, attempting to get a great night sleep for our big race!

Well, we awoke COLD!  The heat went out that night and it was definitely below freezing in the house.  We called the owner, who got things in motion right away to have it fixed while we were running.  We downed our peanut butter toast and coffee, donned our "I'm Only Half Crazy" shirts and headed towards the starting line!!  We arrived just in time to hear the Star Spangled Banner.  Sweet.


Super excited!  What energy in the starting line!


On your marks...Get set...


GOOOO!  I am almost embarrassed to post this picture.  I was so excited to see my parents and my dear dear friend, Heather and her super duper aunt Nell, that I just could not contain myself.  :)



Sarah and I had a great time talking and keeping up with our predicted pace.  Just when we were needing a little encouragement...this guy showed up.  He is just everywhere.  He definitely made us both smile. ;)



Just for kicks, I took a picture of the road we were running.  It was really neat, having a space all to ourselves.  It was also super flat...which was why we chose to do our first half at the beach!


Hooray!  This was about mile 11 I think.  This was just when we were needing a push...


Whoop Whoop! We got this!


And, we crossed the finish line, having broken out of our sweat jackets to reveal our half crazy tank tops.  It was just too cold to wear them alone, but we definitely wore them to cross that finish line!!! Mom and dad were waiting with open arms.


I cannot explain what it meant to me to have them both there.  Every single time I think about it I tear up.  It really was amazing and forever imprinted on my heart.


And, then, there was this goober.  I cannot believe she made the trip down just for my half, but then again, I can believe it.  Heather and I have been through the good, the bad, the ugly and the awesome. This is one treasure of a true friend, a kindred spirit, a true sister in my life.  What an amazing support she has been for the past almost 20 years.  Love love love her.

And, I love her aunt Nell!!!  Nell was like another mom to me in college and she has been through all of that same stuff with Heather and I.  Nell is amazing and the kind of woman you just admire.  The fact that she was there too, just melts my little heart.  I could not be more proud to have such amazing people in my life.


And, my girl, Sarah, and me again, rocking our Half Crazy shirts with our medals.  What a journey it was.  What an awesome experience I will always treasure.

Hope you enjoyed!

No comments: