The above affirmations came from an afternoon of practicing writing, Landon being the teacher to his two younger siblings. Seeing the wonderful things he wrote made me so very proud to know that he loves and appreciates his family. We try really hard to promote a team feeling in our family and make the kids feel like they are a very integral part to our family team. I got this idea from our fabulous youth pastor several years ago when Stan and I participated in a Sunday School class that was really for parents of teens and we just had Landon and were pregnant with Connor. It was so very helpful to think about things to be proactive instead of reactive in our parenting. The pearls we took from that one series of classes have been quite instrumental even thus far...and we don't yet have even tweenagers!!
Now, I will get on with the birthday celebrations, but the above paragraph is really where I start giving thanks for our eight year old. We have had a hard school year or two and focusing on his value in our family has been a big deal around here. If you have ever had a child struggle in school, you can relate. It hurts a parent's heart. a. lot. But, I have faith that God, in his infinite wisdom, planned for Landon (and us) to have these struggles, to teach us things that we would otherwise not know.
As I write this BLOG, 23 days after his birthday, I reflect on all that has happened this month and how even in those 23 days we all have grown.
Landon, the morning of his 8th birthday! It was a Sunday and we had just had the GI bug run through everyone except for Stan, who was sick this morning. We stayed home from church and kept our germs to ourselves.
I decorated the downstairs and obviously, Lindsay Jane, was excited/surprised!!
We let Landon open a few gifts that morning. In this picture, he was reading his card to his brother. He was actually really interested in the cards and what they said. I loved that.
Here, Connor was giving Landon a birthday hug. So sweet.
Here is a picture of him during the opening process of his gift from his brother, a Skylander to "share".
This next series of pictures cracks me up. You see...I ordered a birthday cake for Landon's party, that consisted of 20 people, adults and children total, that was to be at a pizza restaurant. I was thinking...no stress for mom this year. Well, the morning Landon's party was scheduled, Landon threw up...and we had to cancel the party until his actual birthday, the 4th...which, as I previously mentioned, Stan got sick on. So, we also had to cancel it that day and postpone it until the following Saturday night. Not at all a popular decision.
Well, I figured, for his actual birthday, I would go pick up the cake and we could share it (and all our germs) with our family. I went to Harris Teeter to pick it up. It was a cake made for 100 people, not 25. So, it was an entire sheet, not a quarter of a sheet like I had ordered. I just laughed. They did not make me pay for it, as it was not what I ordered, but what in the world was I going to do with a cake made for 100 people?
We lit it...
Admired it...
Presented it...
Had our neighbors, Porter and Sam come over and stand outside the threshold of germs...and sing.
Landon was soooooo excited!!!!
That, when he blew out the candles...
He spit all over the cake being silly...so much for sharing the cake made for 100 people with 100 people, unless those people wanted the GI bug that had been hanging out at our house for the past 10 days. Oye.
Happy 8th Birthday to my silly, energetic, sensitive, baseball-loving, faith-filled, extroverted firstborn. His exuberance for life and love of his family and God is a true blessing. He is bigger than life, most of the time, and this quality can be hard to parent...but I would not change him. He is making me better a better me every day.
More germs...but all for us. :)
My happy little boy.
And, little girl!
Time for more presents!
And more cake, if you are Lindsay Jane...
More reading cards! (love!)
And, my little buddy requested a "Science Kit". I love that he enjoys science so much...taking after mom and dad a bit...
And, on to our next event. We ended up having the birthday party at our house despite my wishes otherwise. I tried to prepare but I wasn't on my "A Game". Have a sick family for two weeks, traveling, celebrating Christmas and new Year's, preparing for my half marathon (an accidental 8.7 mile run the morning of the party since we got lost) and preparing for Stan to leave for a week...ummm...left me a little frazzled.
But, Katie and Tori stepped in and helped with the crafts...
Mr. and Mrs. Poley stepped in with the wine, complete with straw for easy slurping...
I got a few ideas from Pinterest...
And purchased my cupcakes at Target...
I think everyone ended up having a great time.
So thankful for this crowd...my neighbors!!!
Moo moo came, without her boys, who were also sick at home. Boy, January has been a rough month for all us Coles!
Connor was supposed to spend the night with Moo, B and Cole, but due to illness...Nanny swooped in and took Connor so that Landon could have a birthday sleep over without his little brother. What a trooper, that Nanny!
And Tori and Katie!!! They even look happy to be stepping in and bailing this crazy mom out!
Oh, just singing with my sun umbrella...
One token Pinterest picture...
Zaiya decided to serenade us with the mermaid trumpet...
Tahti did some bonding with Connorbug too. :)
Our Malvern crew! I cannot believe how blessed we are to have this group to do life with...literally in our back yards (or front). It is amazing to me how God placed all of us together. Stan and I could not move, even if we wanted to, due to this awesome family we have in our neighbors. Love you guys!
And, of course, we love our Smiths as well!!! Too bad they can't join the neighborhood fun!
I think I have the same picture of Janise and Emelia from about 4 years ago...at the same spot. My how time flies and little ones grow. I love these sweet faces!
A group kid picture! We resorted to singing "Wheels on the Bus" as we have often done in play group gatherings throughout the years. Still works up to 8 years...and counting.
Um. A typical Landon face, caught on film. Exuberant? Emphatic? Enthusiastic? Lovely to parent?
And, now we are back in check...
And up to our old antics...
And there you have it. I have an 8 year old. Can hardly believe it!
Lindsay Jane had to post with me too. She is such a little mama's girl.
And...she loves sweets, just like her mama. :) Can you believe that face?
After the festivities, Landon was allowed to have his three best pals spend the night. He had Porter, JD and Sophia- all three friends with him since infancy. It is just precious to me to see how these friendships have grown over the past 8 years.
Baseball paraphernalia from Tori and Katie!
8 dollars for turning 8 from Tahti and Zaiya!
Minecraft shirt and gift card from Moo, B and Cole!
Landon reading his card from JD.
Apparently, LJ thought it was quite hilarious.
Baseball and Skylander books from JD.
A homemade card and rocket from sweet Sophia.
Four goofballs...
Four goofballs and a little sister watching a movie with popcorn and m and m's.
Four goofballs playing Legos at 6:30am.
And, little sister had to play too...
Did I mention these four were goofballs?
So, Landon is now eight and his birthday BLOG is done a mere 23 days later. I tell you, I thought that when the kids "got a little older" I would "have more time to BLOG and journal". What? Not so. But, I think that means I am focusing on the here and now as much as I can. Parenting sure is tough work, but it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Though I am not perfect, my parenting is not perfect, I may have (wink wink) lost my temper a few times...I am still the mom God chose for this little boy and I take that responsibility to heart. I would do anything for Landon and his brother and sister as well. I really believe that he knows that.
Happy Birthday to my eldest, my little buddy, our little space guy, "Gaga", our little fire cracker. :) Your mama loves you to the moon and back.
No comments:
Post a Comment