Sunday, August 24, 2014

Here are your cookies...


I recently started reading a book called, Sacred Parenting.  It has been another great one to add to my list of many I have read in this parenting journey.  This book is not a "how to" book.  It is quite a convicting book, actually.  It is all about what parenting teaches the parents and how God uses this part of OUR journey to mold us into who he wants us to be.

One of the many things that has stuck out to me was a story the author told about a little boy.  - A young father followed the same routine every night: He went into the kitchen, opened the cabinet, got out a glass.  He would then go to the refrigerator, get out the milk and pour it into his glass.  Then, he went to the cookie jar, took out two cookies, put them on a plate. Then, he would go and sit in his favorite chair and enjoy his snack.  

One night, the father was headed to the kitchen for his nightly ritual.  He noticed his three year old was ahead of him with a determined look on his face.  The father decided to watch his son, instead of announcing his presence.  The boy then pulled out several drawers in the kitchen.  He then used those open drawers to climb onto the counter- something he was forbidden to do.  Next, he walked across the counter, also against the rules...and opened the cabinet to get a glass (knocking down several other glasses in the process).  He then placed the glass on the counter, hopped off the counter and went to the refrigerator.  He grabbed the milk and sloppily poured in into the glass and all of the counter and floor as well.  He wiped up the mess with his shirt.  Then, he left the milk and headed to the cookie jar.  He was not allowed to get cookies without permission.  You guessed it, he grabbed a handful of cookies, spilling crumbs everywhere and placed all but two back into the jar.  He again cleaned up his mess with his shirt.  The father then stepped in to do some disciplining, and just before he was able to speak, the little boy said, "Here are your cookies dad, I love you."

The author of Sacred Parenting points out that we are so much like the little boy in the eyes of our Heavenly Father.  We try to serve him, yet we make a lot of messes in the process.  We can't reach as high as we would like, we knock over glasses, we spill milk, we use our shirts to clean up our messes- because we lack wisdom.  We are not the best parents- we don't have all the wisdom we would like, we don't understand how everything fits together, we make mistakes, we can do everything wrong-- but God looks at us with a Father's delight.  Where we see weakness, God sees humility, where we see messes, he sees intent.  Where we see failings, God sees motives.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all see the good?  If we could pause...let the little boy speak with that great big smile, saying, "Here are your cookies dad, I love you!"  Because, if we pause, if we let people speak, maybe they would surprise us with something good.  Maybe they have better intentions than what we imagine.  We might imagine that the little boy was just being disobedient, and outright at that!  But, just a little step back and a pause and the true intention was revealed.  Can you imagine how hurt that little fella would have been if the dad would have barked at him first, scolding him for the disobedience instead of waiting for the gift.  I am embarrassed to say that I have jumped to conclusions like this many times.

We hear so much bad news.  We hear bad news about good news.  We hear cynicism about the way people try to do good things.  We hear ridicule.  We hear more bad news.  It is hard to escape.  It colors how we view others and what we expect (or don't expect) of others.  Unfortunately, it makes us think people are ALL only out for themselves.

But, I was reminded today in our sermon at church about the Good News.  There is good news that is always there and will never fail. That good news is that Jesus is alive!  He loves us, he died for us and he has prepared a place for us for all eternity with him.  Keeping our eyes focused on him and his ways, his intentions and his glory brings our minds to a different place.  It brings our mind to a place of goodness, grace, hope and light.  Even if you have never believed, what would it hurt to try it out?  What would it hurt to believe in something better than this world and the bad news we constantly hear?  What if we are right?  What if you would get to spend eternity in heaven-  in a place without pain, without sin?  What if you could live every day with the assurance that you were made with a purpose, you have great significance and you are worth dying for. What if we are wrong?  What would that hurt?  Would it be so bad to live a life believing in hope and goodness, looking for the best in all things instead of the worst?  Believing that you are a worthwhile perfect creation with a purpose?  Would that be bad?

I am feeling challenged to look for the good in all things.  I want to still expect the best of people.  I want to wait to hear that sweet little voice, "Here are your cookies, mom!"  I want to hear about the times when people are in the line at Starbucks and the car in front of them picks up their coffee.  I want to spread the news about churches gathering together, giving up their precious Saturday, to package food for homeless people they don't even know. I want to see more things like the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge- and I want to shake off the associated cynicism.  I want people to believe in the good- the good that is there, in a lot of people.  I want to see my challenges at work and at home through the eyes of Jesus.  I want to focus on those things that have eternal significance.

The truth is, that even if people do end up disappointing us (and they will), Jesus never will. Every day, we have the promise of Good News. And that is certainly front page worthy, in my book.


No comments: