Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Bringing up my boys

I have recently started reading James Dobson's Bringing Up Boys again. What a wonderful read for a boy mom. I am not sure why, but the "boyness" of my boys has recently been taken to a new level. As you can see in the picture below, the apple "don't fall too far from the tree".

I often find my three boys shirts off dancing, doing push ups, running, playing, laughing. Stan is such a wonderful daddy and Landon and Connor just eat their time with him up. They love to mimic him...

And they have to equally do so...

Boys are great, they are fun, wild, entertaining, hilarious, loving, tenderhearted and always ready to GO. They also can have trouble relating to their moms...

The book suggests that the way boys identify with their own gender is to push their mom away. I do feel that at times, especially from Landon. It is not necessarily rude or mean, just a preference for his dad and it has lately seemed that he has more fun with Stan. (sad face)

I am learning how to be a boy mom, more and more daily. I tell you what, it will work on your patience as well as your "nervousness". I have had to let go of not letting them play with swords as Landon's one wish from the circus that we took him to for his birthday was a play sword... Stan eyed me and said, "Honey, he is a boy and there are worse things..." yes, Stan, thanks for the balance, but he is still my little "innocent" baby.

I have had to let go of worrying about dings in the floor, scratches on the walls, pen marks on my table, leaves pulled off my plants, broken little angel figurines, what the person at the store thinks of my little wild ones.

I have learned to listen carefully when Landon describes his drawings which often include some type of bomb (WHAT?) or dead person or something else disturbing...and make it a teachable moment.

I have learned that we will be talking about male body parts - and must do so with discretion and proper education and in appropriate settings...

I have learned that when any boy goes to the bathroom, it splatters.

I have learned how to find the best worms and pick them up (with gloves).

I have learned that boys don't like to write nearly as much as their girl peers!

I have learned that boys are really loud and need to be outside as much as possible.

I have learned that testosterone is very powerful. Wow. It works to my advantage when having a race to see who can clean up the most toys...

I have learned how very special a little boy's look at his mommy can be, how valuable a good relationship with my boys is- for their present and future way of relating to women.

What a big job, raising boys!! And, I might have another one! :) Bring it on, I am delighted to have the privilege of bringing up boys, I only pray that I might do so in a way that honors God and teaches them to do the same.

Now, on to reign in my boy who has been "going to the potty" for the last 20 minutes!!!

No comments: