I recently read a very timely devotion which has got me thinking. I have really been meaning to update my BLOG but haven't "had the time". In fact, this entry has spanned over at least 3-4 days. Despite my best efforts, life right now is nuts. :)
The devotional I read was about "Winter's Longing" and it speaks of the physical darkness of winter months and likens it to our waiting, repentance and longing during the Advent Season.
It goes on to speak of the season of Advent and how it "bids all to come and find surprising gifts in the shorter days, in the womb of pregnant possibility, and in the anxious anticipation that accompanies waiting in the darkness."
There have been many times in he past that I have felt as though I were in darkness, even lately and struggle with how that can be- when I have the Creator of the Universe in control of my life.
I think that the physical darkness of winter does play a part, especially from a pathophysiological point of view. Just as our physical bodies need light to function most effectively, so our spiritual lives need light. The waiting we suffer through in the winter eventually ends as Spring flowers emerge, days become longer and our sun enhances our vitamin D levels and leads to less Melatonin production which is one of the contributing chemicals to seasonal affective disorder.
As is in our spiritual lives. Any suffering we encounter (and this we are promised) is part of a bigger plan and always, I believe, an opportunity to grow closer to the true SON, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Speaking through the prophet Isaiah, the God of Israel also promises: "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name" (Isaiah 45:3).
What treasures can I find in the waiting of this Advent Season? What riches are hidden in those secret places, those places I share with no one?
It hit me today as I sat listening to God's music fill our church as our choir provided our message in song through our annual Christmas Cantata. If I believe that God did, in fact, place a baby who happened to be the Savior of this world, in the uterus of a virgin, how dare I question His provision for me in my wanting of another baby, or anything else for that matter? It doesn't make sense. Believing in the power of immaculate conception and resurrection is SO HUGE and I DO believe it. Do I believe that God's plans are the best for my life?
While waiting to celebrate the birth of my Savior, I am still learning that His power is greater than anything I can imagine and NOTHING is impossible with God, even creating life without what science says is needed and conquering death.
As I reflect on the treasures hidden in the dark, behind the tears, the disappointments this life can often bring, I realize, the treasure for me is belief. Belief in the power of God and his complete control over my life. Belief that nothing is impossible with God. Belief that He wants what is best for me. Belief that I can trust him, 100% and release my own desires into his hands.
God never fails us and today, I was once again reminded of His goodness and grace for me, a weak, doubting, frail human being.
I believe. And because I believe, this is a season that is rich. Whether I have plenty or I am in a time of want, it is belief that makes the difference in my perspective.
I believe that this season is about waiting to celebrate the birth of our Savior, the one who dispelled the darkness of this world...forever.
1 comment:
Love this . . . so well thought out and articulated, and grounded in the ultimate sovereignty of God our Father! Love your faithfulness and expression of trust!
Post a Comment