"Life is a Beach": I always thought this was a nice saying and was reflecting on how true it is that life is "like a beach", then I looked it up on google...wow. I decided I would still keep the title and come up with my own interpretation. I see it as a positive saying, not what google says...I won't write it here, you can google it if you are curious. But let's just say, beach is not the word originally in the phrase.
At this hour (around 5:00), one can view it from afar and wonder how it all works, watching the waves crash roughly on the shore, the beachy sand hidden in the high tide. So often, I am crazy at this hour of the day, trying to prepare dinner/control hungry kids/answer the phone/answer the door/anxiously await Stan's homecoming. I thought of this parallel. Though I felt much more relaxed while watching the waves, I imagined myself as the shore, being flooded with wave after wave- but doesn't it refine me? Doesn't that pounding make for a smooth beach in the morning?
Life's beach in full swing here. Landon loves the beach, he loves life. He shovels it up and dives in. He in in the moment, can't you tell?
Connor, cup in hand, mommy in sight, sheer joy on his face- as he sits shaded from the sun, shaded from the heat, the danger of our broken ozone. What shelter we provide as parents has no comparison to the shelter Jesus brings upon our lives. Shouldn't I at least have that look of JOY on my face at what the Father has done for me?
Pure innocence is alive at the beach. Here, Connor is basically ducking his face as close to the water as he can get to see the fish that Stan caught. I love how everything else faded away and full focus was on such a tiny creation - a minnow. How delightful it would be if I treasured the small stuff more.
Look at that face. What a happy little fella. All because of a minnow that his daddy caught for him. How many toys does he have? What do they matter? The joy that time spent with his brother, mommy and daddy far exceeds any amount of temporary fun a material item can bring. How about that thought in adult terms? Do I really need one more cute dress?
Dancing with Nanny. Nanny often reminds us of the need to dance, to laugh, to take long baths and walks. Paying attention to the generations ahead of us and their wisdom can also set our priorities in check. The beach often brings families together, enabling them to spend that quality time in conversation and reflection.
So excited we got this family picture. It is so tough getting both boys to look at the camera! It is also so tough to get someone patient enough to take about a billion pictures to get one decent one!!
So, back to my beach parallel... Connor almost fell asleep in Stan's arms walking along the beach. It was the sweetest thing. I imagine the security he was feeling, being in his daddy's arms, high above the vast water as he listened to the crashing waves soothe him to sleep. How often have I felt like I just wanted to cuddle up in my dad's arms, have him protect me from the waves of the world. How awesome we have a Heavenly Father who is always ready to welcome us with open and loving arms.
What a treat, we got to see Kelly and Olivia twice! They are living in Myrtle Beach now and packed up the car after Kelly worked night shift to come and see us. Running through the water, splashing with our little munchkins, I can really say it was one of the best times of my life. Kelly and I have been friends for years, about 13!! We have been through so much together, it makes splashing through the waves and sand even sweeter.
Landon was quite the eater this trip! I think all of the sand and water play wore him out. He had more of an appetite that I ever remember, which is such a great thing to write as he has never really been interested in food!
Landon made a friend, Alexis, while we were at the beach. He has always been my social bug and seems to make a friend no matter where we go. Seeing these two frolic in the ocean and on the beach was such a joy. This picture reminds me of the simple fun in every day life, that is waiting for us to take notice of and enjoy.
Me and Kel enjoying our ice cream cones we walked all the way to the pier for...with three kids who ALL wanted to be carried back...
This is one of my very favorite pictures of the week. I think the beach wore out all three of my boys. Stan is an amazing dad. Seeing this picture really makes me thing a lot about LD. I imagine there were many times when Stan was just as young as our boys are and LD was holding Stan in the same way. The beach is a place where memories are made and Stan and LD made many together here at this very beach.
Connor got a close up look at some seagulls. Our neighbors started feeding them and Connor was ecstatic. I love the look of excitement in his eyes and I esp. loved seeing his face light up as he chased the seagulls, fully believing that he could catch them. Another great reminder to me of the beauty that is available if I would just stop and look around.
A treasured time, Landon and I got away by ourselves and enjoyed ice cream on the beach one afternoon. There are not as many mommy and Landon one on one times as their used to be and oh, how I love the chance to get away with him and really delight in his sweet personality. Landon actually told me that this was his favorite memory from the beach (of course that changes depending on who he is talking to...).
As I took this picture, I thought about the short glimpse of time Connor will be so little. Time goes by so very fast and taking time to reflect on that helps me to live in moments life this. I treasure the time I am spending getting to know my boys right where they are, looking at them in amazement each time they discover something new and exciting, making imprints on my memory every day.
Time spent with family, those God has placed around us for a reason. The beach brought our family together. This was our first trip without LD, our first picture at this location without LD. I did think a lot about LD and about the memories we made as a family at this beach. Stan and I got engaged on one of our family beach trips to Holden and there LD was, welcoming us home, just beaming.
Mommy's little hip buddy...look at that face. I am so in love. :)
Connor poses for a picture, I just couldn't get that big beautiful grin!
As I look out over the ocean, I often do think about those I have lost over the years. I don't know why, but there is something about the endlessness of the water, the soothing sound of the waves, the soft melting horizon that brings me to a place of reflection. There is a certain connection I feel with loved ones I have lost as I think being on the beach makes me feel a little closer to heaven.

No comments:
Post a Comment