Nanny spent some great time with both boys and helped me make Connor's first trip to the pool a success...and fun for Landon.
Things at the Cole House are going well these days...
I guess the biggest news of late is that Landon is finally pooping in the potty. Praise Jesus! He has gone 5 times in a row and told us that he is a "big kid" and does not need diapers anymore. We have giving him the prizes that have been behind the potty for months and I took him to Marble Slab Creamery last night to get a chocolate ice cream with sprinkles. He loved it and so did I! We were walking into the mall and I was holding his sweet little hand, just having a great time just talking to him. A memory that will forever be etched in my mind as this was one of the rites of passage. I took that time out- the time needed to recognize what an accomplishment this is for him and mark it with quality time. I will never regret that.
I am learning so many things about being a mom and more even about myself. Landon's behavior is finally starting to level out a bit as he approaches 3 1/2. He is responding well to our latest form of discipline 1-2-3 Magic. I also went to talk to a dear friend of mine who is a behavioral psychologist. He really helped me recognize how personally I was taking Landon's (remind myself here that he is 3 years old) fits, obsessions, mean words, behavior, etc. I am starting to take things less personally and we are all benefiting.
I was talking with a dear mommy friend this morning about the challenges of raising kids. These challenges are very gripping- at our very core. Never have I learned more about myself, more about the sinful and selfish person I am. I want my boys to be respectful young men...but in the process of wanting them to "turn out right", I can miss so much. I don't want to miss playing outside in the sprinkler with Landon, giggling on the couch as I tickle them both, taking Landon to get ice cream. I feel God shouting at me: "Take it easy! Enjoy this gift! Live in the moment."
Boy is it hard to do this at times, but recognizing my own needs, taking care of those needs and separating them from my "wants" is certainly a way I can be a better mom. I recently read a quote that was quite gripping, "Many wonderful things vie for our attention in this life, few are eternal." It made me think, am I spending time on those things that are eternal...like influencing young souls- my very children beneath my nose? Am I really focusing on those things that are most important?
It is hard to juggle, but I don't have to. I am learning that I need to rest, rest in God's peace and being present and not hurried, whether out the door or from place to place.I am also learning to let it go. Let go of my need for control, my need to have all the boxes checked and in order. Letting go is certainly a freeing feeling, something I need to do continually.
We are headed to Lyckebo for the week, with a stop first at the Lynch Family reunion followed by a visit with Pa Cole. My parents will join us midweek. Boy it will be nice to be away as a family. Have a great week!
2 comments:
You didn't tell me on Friday that Landon had pooped 5 times in a row in the potty!?!?! That is awesome!!!! So excited for you and him!!! What a big boy!
Thanks for your post! So resonated with what I felt God was speaking to my heart this morning as I started that study again. As I meditated on Psalm 23 I thought about how easily I get upset when the girls make my house that I just cleaned or vacuumed a mess, but looked at from another perspective I realized that it is a gift when toys are everywhere and my house is not all put in its place because it means that life is happening here! It means joy and fun, creativity and play, learning and growing is happening right under my nose as two precious little girls discover and develop in our home! Who wants a put together, sterile home? :) So I too am learning to rest in the midst of the chaos and upheaval recognizing that God's presence, care and love is surrounding me and my family right in the thick of it! Love you my friend!!!
Post a Comment