It was a beautiful Mother's Day and my husband was wonderful. He asked me what I wanted to do, bought a beautiful card and let me pick out beautiful flowers for our front porch. We spent some good quality time together and began talking a lot about our boys and being parents. I have started reading a book called, "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson. It has given me a lot of insight into the things that drive little boys and men for that matter. I see it as a huge responsibility to raise men and want to do the very best that I can.
I have recently started to develop a much more protective nature when it comes to my boys. It is not like it wasn't there before, but I think as kids get older, other moms and people in general, tend to feel more at liberty to chime in about your children. My friend, Virginia, calls it the "mommy mofia". I am so thankful to have the friends that I do who can listen and support me through the rough spots of parenting, while every moment encouraging me and also speaking positively about my boys. My boys are the most precious thing in the world to me (along with Stan and second only to Jesus).
I told Stan, I have recently felt like saying, "Get off of my kid!" I know it sounds crazy, but there are little subtleties that can really hurt my feelings and nothing more tender is the heart of a mommy. Yes, my Landon is strong-willed...but boy is he bright, boy is he tender-hearted, boy is he a laugh a minute. I wouldn't change a thing about him. Maybe he isn't yet potty trained for poop, but I am sure he won't go to Kindergarten pooping in his diaper. And while we are waiting for that glorious day when he decides to go in the potty, I don't want to shame him in the process.
Mothering is hard work. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am so grateful for my Landon and my Connor. Both are God's unique gifts to me, the ONE person who was chosen out of everyone else in this whole world to be their mother. I am honored. I am so blessed. I pray that I will be the kind of mother who makes my boys proud.
That Little Boy of Mine
Two eyes that shine so bright,
Two lips that kiss goodnight,
Two arms that hold me tight,
That little boy of mine.
No one could ever know how much your coming has meant.
Because I love you so, you're something heaven has sent.
You're all the world to me.
you climb upon my knee.
To me you'll always be,
That little boy of mine.
3 comments:
KFC--I came across your blog today and man, did I need to read your most recent post!! God definitely had a plan in me reading it today! Thanks for writing the words that I also feel daily about my "boys" (husband and son). Hope you are doing well!
Love it! Love it! Love it! Thank you for those so true words about being a parent!!! Sounds like you had a most wonderful Mother's Day!!! And you do have a most wonderful gift in Landon! We love our Landon too so much and I love you my dear, dear friend!!!!
Keep up the good work, Kristen! It IS hard work, but you seem to always be seeking wisdom and raising your boys prayerfully. Never a bad thing. We all need grace in our dealings with each other, don't we? Communication is often such a clumsy thing, but we mothers need to stick together and build each other up!
Post a Comment