Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Landon is learning...and so am I

Pictured above is Landon's little book bag with Lightening McQueen that he takes with him to "cool". Below is a picture of Daddy helping to tie his shoes. We started Daycare last week- WOW! It was so much harder for me than it was for him! I have to admit that I cried that morning. I was a mess. He, on the other hand, napped, ate and played like a champ. The teacher even told me that she wished all kids would adapt like Landon! And- my little string bean, asked for 3rd helpings at lunch! What? My child? The one who doesn't eat more than a couple of bites at each sitting? I guess this goes into what I am learning- that a lot of his eating or any other issue at this point...are behavioral. I think I have a 2 year old on my hands! It is SO hard to believe when that sweet little face says, "NO" shaking his head and whining as he draws out the word NO for emphasis. He is definitely understanding more and I have actually had a little success with counting to 3. I have to call my mom the other morning and ask for her advice. I knew the day would come...and so did she...when all of my toddler tantrums, defiance, etc., etc., etc., would catch up with me and I would be calling her saying, "HELP!" I could not have gotten a better response from her. She encouraged me and said that there was no doubt how much love Stan and I have for Landon and that love would guide us to make the best decisions in disciplining him. Thanks mom.
Landon seems to already be learning to share as pictures below with our neighbor Porter. The two of them were trying to figure this little figure out- passing it back and forth. No pushing, no grabbing, just some intense concentration as you can see. I loved watching the two of them and imagined Landon doing similar things at daycare, or "cool" as he calls it.

In closing, I will share another thing Landon did for the first time. Tonight, after we had finished his bath- you know hair and body were clean, all of his car and boat figures were floating in the water, we were laughing and getting ready to get out when...you guessed it...several little balls of poop trailed behind his little bottom. As I was grabbing the poop with my bare hands (YUCK), I kept telling myself, do not get mad...do not get mad. I calmly explained to Landon that poop goes in the potty and by the way, would you like to sit on the potty.... to which he exclaimed, "NOEEEEEEEEEE"!

Potty training has begun, friends and I am not mad. I will take this in stride and let it happen as it will. This will be my mantra. After all, being a nurse has certainly prepared me to deal with a little bit of toddler poo. :)

2 comments:

gina said...

ugh. potty training. my least favorite part of motherhood so far!!! have fun. we, too, love "light-meen a-queen" in this house!

Dawn said...

I can't believe Landon is already going to "cool." Sounds like he likes it and is doing amazingly well.