What a Christmas we have had...and boy are we tired. That is how it goes...so much Christmassing...so little time...to rest in the stillness that was in that manger so long ago. Each year I resolve to do better...and each year...I fail.
I am not sure how to do it better. I think this year I have liked the idea of the 12 Days of Christmas- a way of starting the celebration with December 25th...and celebrating for 12 days to Epiphany. Maybe by starting after the hustle bustle is over and culture calms...I can capture the treasure of Christmas for my children and release it into our home for the coming year. Maybe we would all be so wise as to do so. To stop and leave the tree, the decorations, the "unChristmassing"...for later...as we sit still and slow it down in order to realize the gift that Christmas is. Being still is hard, not just for this mama of three, but for all of us. It is not what we are taught, not what we see, not what gets us that promotion at work...
Don't get me wrong. We had a great Christmas. It's just...as hard as I try, I lose control over my schedule, and thus my family's schedule, between multiple good things...things that are hard and sometimes impossible to say no to. So let me share the joy that those good things brought to us.
These three. Wow. How very blessed am I. We went to Christmas Eve service with my parents and my sweet nephew and mother in law. It was so great to have our family together at Christmas Eve service. I have kept up my tradition too, of serving communion at that service, which is a precious part of Christmas for me. I am brought to the reality of Christ's birth and his death as I look at each face that comes to the table to share in the celebration of who he is and what he sacrificed for us. Each face is different, each face with a different story, each face a picture more of who Christ is as I see his image reflected in the deep eyes of longing...longing to be near to our Savior as they come to the table. It is a gift, each year.
My precious family.
Soooooo. What led up to our Christmas...lots of fun with this little baker...
Complete with her Minnie Mouse apron and hair bow (she chooses bows...just in case you think I find it necessary for where a bow for baking)...could she be any cuter?
Rolling out the dough...and let me tell you, she is pretty good at it. Look at the concentration!
She is so sweet to never tire of me asking for pictures...
Using the cookie cutters, also something that she is surprisingly so adept at for a 3 year old!
And, a trolley cookie from Daniel tiger...her wish, in addition to all of the classic Christmas cookies.
We had lots of decorating to do and invited Porter over again. I love that he loves decorating Christmas cookies with us. His family is Jewish and I love so many things about the fact that he loves making Christmas cookies with us. In years past, I have had him bring over some of his Hanukkah cookie cutters which has been very cool. I had already made all of the cookies this time, but maybe next year! We just love our neighbors and the sweet mutual respect we have for each other in such things.
Porter just fits right in. :)
Buddies!
Porter and his Christmas tree cookie, which he promptly ate immediately following this picture! :)
Lindsay Jane decorating...and loving it!
I am not sure if Connor decorated more...or ate more...oh well!
This is typical for what my kitchen looks like over Christmas...lots of baking, lots of cookie decorating supplies, lots of little plates to separate out each kid's cookies...that I insist they keep to themselves (cookies and germs alike)...
And...along with Christmas baking, decorating and preparing...daddy gets time off work!!! What a better way to start our Christmas vacation that with a doggy pile on daddy.
This was precious. This was the track that Landon got from Santa about 3 years ago (at least). He asked if I still had it and surprise...mommy did! He was overjoyed! He loved spending this time with his siblings, sharing a wonderful treasure from his earlier childhood. When I watched them play, I just fell in love all over again with my littles. Sometimes, I hear the words Landon speaks to me- teenage words I think- and I miss the sweetness of those little years when he loved me with his words and his smiles...but then I see this and I realize that I am still in the little years and I am present here, sometimes it might be consider a "trench" but most times, it is a time of precious discovery and delight through the eyes of my children. This was a surprise gift to me this year, indeed.
A new dish I tried this year!! Ambrosia salad...and, it was a hit. Pretty, huh?
Ahhh...silence in our home for a moment...with the beauty of Christmas...the sound of Christmas...
My dad being a jokester...as always...
Connor was the one who helped me with Jesus's birthday cake this year...just like last year. What a sweet little spirit.
And, I let this little gem lick the spoon...of course!
One quick picture on Christmas Eve before getting into our church clothes. I had to grab them where they were...in Connor's room. :) Whatever works for the mama to be in the pictures. :)
This little gem got ready without a hitch and sat on my bed watching me get ready. I love her sweet smile and spirit that often is just what I need to keep going...
Sweet Mommom with the kiddos...
Pop and Mommom were real troopers, staying on after our last Christmas posting of Frey and Jones family gatherings to watch my kids while Stan and I worked the week of Christmas. I am so thankful they were here and that my mom is now officially retired. Hopefully that means we will be spending a lot more time together, talking and sharing life. My parents are such treasures and I only wish they lived closer. My favorite times with them are in the kitchen, which is no surprise if you know my family. It is just hard on the waistline...
Worth a second showing in the BLOG!
My dad in the kitchen. He was working on his famous raisin sauce here. It was his dad's recipe and I got it from his sister. When he found out I had it, he was elated. I just absolutely adore this man and the special time we spend together.
We were so thankful to have Kay over for Christmas Eve service and dinner as well. Lindsay Jane never misses a moment to snuggle with one of her grandparents. I love that they are all eager to read to her.
My Christmas Eve table...complete with a beautiful table cloth from Kay this year.
The kid table...antics, I tell you, antics...
More playing with the Lightening McQueen track from many moons ago...
Mommom working her magic...she had them telling stories, creating their own Pokemon cards...she is a natural. I have to admit, when I took this picture, I was already sad about her leaving the next day. My mom is the best.
These three were up to no good. Can you tell?
But...not as much "no good" as these three!!!!!
And don't even talk to me about the four of them together!
And...we.are.in.trouble. What a HAM!
Santa tracking at its finest!
Christmas Eve pajamas!
Did I happen to mention that this one is a HAM?
Stan got his Superman boxers...which he requests yearly...right Kerri?
More precious Santa tracking.
Spreading reindeer food on the lawn...
Sweet Lindsay Jane placing the cookies for Santa in just the right order...and don't forget the carrots for the reindeer!
More sweet memories for mama playing with their old track. I am telling you, it was a huge hit!
Santa's booty for the boys...
Santa's booty for LJ...
Super excited to come downstairs!!!
Lindsay Jane was not quite so sure...
But...when she saw Anna and Elsa...she was oober impressed!
Checking out the goods...mostly seeing if there were any "Mega Pokemon" cards in the mix...I have to say Santa was sorely disappointed with the packaging on the Mega Lucario Pokemon set...that DID NOT include a Mega Lucario! What? Connor quickly recovered and said it was ok as he knew Santa made a mistake. Our letters from Santa always talk about how we all make mistakes and we are so blessed that we know Jesus and he gives us grace for our mistakes...so this sweet little heart took that angle...with the elves that most certainly made a mistake in packaging...
Santa recovered and sent the card from the North Pole...thank goodness Santa is so awesome...
What? More Pokemon in our stockings????
Lindsay Jane sporting her new bike from mommy and daddy! It was a huge hit! We saw it back in the summer and ear marked it...note the baby carriage on the back. SOLD!
Boys cup stacking! This is such a great sport for active boys. But I will tell you, it drives their mother's INSANE. I got my Woods Charter speed record holder, Landon a mat to combat the noise...
Santa did not forget the kitty cats!
Landon read the note from Santa for us this year and did an excellent job! Santa reminds us every year about the real meaning of Christmas.
We gave the kids bible covers this year. They were all really excited. :)
Sweet and thoughtful gifts from Uncle Eamon and Aunt Rebecca.
What?!!!! You got us Kindles??!!
Daddy opening his tent...
Lindsay Jane being cute.
Daddy had a surprise for me this year...a new laptop that is also a tablet. I am not techy at all...but I am actually using it now! Good thing I am married to a computer engineer!
Nanny was excited about her photo calendar. :)
Daddy and Lindsay Jane tried out his new sleeping bag for our camping trips.
They enjoyed it!
My favorite picture of the day...I did have to pull them inside before they changed clothes to go play in our swamp of a yard that all the rain has created. There was a little whining...but, they obliged. I love Christmas jammie pictures so much. These little faces bring me such joy. Love.
Stan had to put his tent up in the garage to try it out! It was much bigger than we thought! We are looking forward to some family camping trips in this gem!
And Lindsay Jane wanted to try out her new wheels. So stinkin' cute!
And, we had Christmas dinner as a family. It was quiet and so nice as we reflected on our day. Then, we had family movie night with popcorn and M and M's after reading the story of Jesus's birth. It was a perfect ending to our Christmas, just the 5 of us...plus two kitties. :)
Next stop...Nanny's for our Cole family Christmas. Chinese take out! Excellent idea, Nanny!
The boys got there early and went fishing and wading in the creek! Who gets to do that the day after Christmas? Us NC folks this year. I arrived with LJ after her nap and we washed those boys up...and let them have a little time on their Kindles. They didn't mind.
Turns out Cole got a bike for Christmas too!!!
Good thing we remembered LJ's as well...and her princess pajamas...
They were both so proud!
Kid table!
Nutty Buddies! (always a bribe at Nanny's to eat all your dinner...)
Connorbug stopping for a smile. :)
Lindsay Jane discovered Nanny's little "grabber". She was cleaning up toys with it. The boys then discovered it and of course, it became a weapon...and was put up.
Then...it was present time! This little reindeer was excited.
They are getting good at opening...these days!
Cole was all kinds of excited about opening gifts this year! It was fun to watch for sure. This one was a beloved Olaf that was like a Mr. Potato Head. Super cute idea.
This was hilarious. Stan made a funny comment that fit rather awkwardly when opening his second pair of Superman boxers of the holiday...
And then...there was bubble wrap...
All kinds of fun with bubble wrap! It is truly the simple things.
I had next hoped to include a bunch of pictures from the Cole and Frey extended family gatherings, but mama got sick. It wasn't horrible but enough to make me not really feel up to taking pictures at our Cole family gathering and not being able to travel to Asheville to see my family, as we had planned. It was a hard call but I remember sitting at Alan's house, thinking that I needed to use the camera I brought to capture some sweet moments but just could not make myself move. I ended up sitting down and sharing some really sweet conversations with several relatives that I will always treasure in my heart. Sometimes you just have to stop, as my mom said...when we broke the sad news that we would not be up to traveling to see them. It was so hard for me especially because my aunts and uncles and cousin would be there too. Just hard not to push through and make it happen. I know I would not have regretted it! I imagined sitting at the table at my parents' cabin talking and sharing stories with my aunts and uncles and cousin and feeling the close connection you only get with those you share certain memories, especially of those sweet ones who have gone before us, like my grandmother, Minkie. I do remember her words though, "If you can't have what you want, want what you have..." And I made that my thought as we slowed it down and though I couldn't make myself travel with family in tow...I treasured the sweet things this time brought me at home.
Connor and I had a mommy son date. We ate cookies, drank hot chocolate and read books together. It was a time I am sure I will never forget, and neither will he. He opened doors for me, sat in my lap and gobbled up his sweet little alone time with delight. He is such a sweet spirit.
Next, Lindsay Jane and I went on a mommy daughter date! We shared a "muffie" and orange juice and played played played in the play area at the mall. Then, we had to ride the escalators and elevator as we split a lunch at Chick-fil-a. She whispered in my ear, saying, "Mommy, you are my best friend..." What a sweet time we had.
Then, Landon and I went out for cookies, hot chocolate and reading! His choice, guys...
This was my favorite picture of the break. I walked away to put back some of the books that we had collected to try out and came back to find this gem. When we got to the bookstore, he asked me if we could read the "Fox book" that we read last time...I could not believe he remembered that book! So, we went right to it (thank you Roald Dahl) and he dove in. He read it all the way home in the car and actually finished reading it in 2 days. I cannot believe it. We have prayed for this guy and his reading for such a long time, I really just have to pinch myself that he is reading on his own, willingly...and instead of playing his Kindle!!!!!! Praise God for answered prayers and the realization, once again, that things happen in due time...
Next, it was Stan's turn. We went to Olive Garden, where we had our first date, oh about 15 years ago. It was a sweet time of reconnecting and talking about the new year. What a blessed life we live that we can easily lose sight of. It was nice to end 2015 with a date night at our pace...we decided to dive into a new marriage book for the new year. We had such a nice time that I am so grateful for.
Next stop...New Year's Eve! I wish I had a picture of Kerri and I... Kerri came over, brought us doughnuts and sweet Christmas gifts and helped me organize my closet while we reconnected and shared stories, as we always do. That's a real friend right there...she held a flashlight so I could see in the depths of my closet and gave me her "face" when I held up clothes...keep it?chuck it? No question when looking at her face...love her.
It was so wonderful for me to be able to spend special time with friends I don't get to see enough. This friend, who came over last minute, helped me in the kitchen and fed my soul. :) Slow paced, reconnecting and soul feeding...what a way to end a year.
Sui chef extraordinaire...
Kid table!
We played so many games...well, the kids did...while Stacey and I tended the kitchen...Mexican food galore...yummy yummy but also messy! Cup stacking was a big hit with all the kids!
Lindsay Jane loving her special time with one of her "big sisters".
Happy New Year 2015! All the kids made it until 10:00!
And I will close with some fun sibling bonding that also happened...not saying if this resulted in happy hearts or rivalry...
Now...to prepare for Landon's birthday...celebrations start tonight!!






No comments:
Post a Comment